PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
If everything is the same with both cranks minus the one having a tapered shaft on one half, then I can disassemble both cranks and rebuild it using the straight shaft crank half and true it? I've rebuilt cranks in the past where I've done this and just did one for a customer a couple months back for a XR motor (Kick-start to E-start has different left side crank webs) being converted from kick to electric start.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there, didn't mean to just fade away. I had two quick options to try and fix my problem for race day. So I ordered a new crankshaft with a straight shaft for the pinion gear. Then I ordered a pinion gear with the tapered hole. I think one was ordered from Denmark and one from Belgium. I figured the first part that shows up gets used. The crank showed up first and in it went. The tapered hole pinion gear showed up a few days later. We ran into a few other problems and I figured it would be better to make one of my other racebikes track ready and get the Derbi ready for the next race. Which is in three weeks. So still working out some new to me racebike problems but I think I am under control. I'll post how things went. Thanks for the information. It's always good to find new sources of help.
If you ever need any engine work that is beyond your abilities and or parts machining/reconditioning don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck at the races!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there, didn't mean to just fade away. I had two quick options to try and fix my problem for race day. So I ordered a new crankshaft with a straight shaft for the pinion gear. Then I ordered a pinion gear with the tapered hole. I think one was ordered from Denmark and one from Belgium. I figured the first part that shows up gets used. The crank showed up first and in it went. The tapered hole pinion gear showed up a few days later. We ran into a few other problems and I figured it would be better to make one of my other racebikes track ready and get the Derbi ready for the next race. Which is in three weeks. So still working out some new to me racebike problems but I think I am under control. I'll post how things went. Thanks for the information. It's always good to find new sources of help.
Also, by the way is this a Derbi GP50? the small full size GP replica like the Aprilia RS50? I used to have a RS50 That I built up (Lady hit me on it and totaled it).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle

This was about 18 years ago! 2001 RS50 built up to 75cc and heavily Modified. I had multiple different top ends that I modified from different aftermarket manufactures. You can see the impact was so hard it snapped the frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts