PlanetMinis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you seen or done this mod? It was originally submitted by "Blairjw" on another forum. Just curious as to what your opinions are before I crack open my 50.

--------- Original thread --------------------

Alright, I had to test this, and last night was the first race since I did this and I wanted to make sure it made a difference before I posted... hopefully nobody I race with reads this... This is for a 2004 CRF 50 I am not sure if how far back the ignition goes, your milage may vary.

First remove the cover over the flywheel, left hand side.

At about 4 oclock, there is the ignition pickup sensor, remove the 2 8mm screws and let it dangle...

There is a spacer behind it... remove. The little block on the flywheel is large enough to catch the sensor with or without that spacer, save a little weight here...

NOW HERES THE IMPORTANT STUFF READ IT CAREFULLY

Now get out your dremel tool and egg the holes in the pickup unit about 2-3 mm towards the top... leave the bottom surface of the holes untouched.

When you reassemble, set the pickup down, so the screws are seating in the new area that you have slotted. What you have done is advance the timing a couple of degrees.

Rotate the flywheel be hand counter clockwise after you have attached the pickup unit to make sure there is no interference with the block on the flywheel with the pickup unit.

Replace the cover and try it out.

I don't have any pre-detonation, but I am running 105 octane VP fuel.

This mod allowed me to get the holeshot last night everytime... even with stock exaust. my only other mods are the joker choke removal, and a uni filter, lifting the carb needle and setting up the carb air screw correctly. I was pulling away from bikes with aftermarket pipes.

Next time I get a free minute, I will slot the holes a little more and put a timing light on it, so see the actual advance.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried out this mod today. There's definitely a noticeable kick to the powerband! Especially off the line. Actually a very easy adjustment... and totally reverseable.

· Registered
6,011 Posts
- Advance is a good thing to a point , that's were R+D comes into play .

- Worst case , too much advance and you could hole a piston :wink: .

- Hey Velocity , what's the scoop ? How did you make your avatar pic so big ??

· Registered
3,869 Posts
trickedoutxr50 said:
did it really rev up like a two stroke as tehy claim if so im buying one really soon
What are you talking about man, this isnt a inner rotor, simply a easy mod to do to your stock ignition.

· Registered
12,757 Posts
this is old news to me.........now that everyone knows........i was tryin to keep an advantage on a stock motor....lol

mines been done like that for a while now..... lighten the flywheel and do this mod instead of the inner rotor kit........save alot of money.....I did.

· Registered
464 Posts
velocity101 said:
Now get out your dremel tool and egg the holes in the pickup unit about 2-3 mm towards the top... leave the bottom surface of the holes untouched.

When you reassemble, set the pickup down, so the screws are seating in the new area that you have slotted. What you have done is advance the timing a couple of degrees.

what does he mean by saying "egg the holes in the pickup unit"???

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PIMPINdaHOES said:
did you really do it??

more responsive huh...?

quick little performance gain. gotta love that kinda performance.....FREE!

Yeah, I did ~ and it really did make a difference. I was throwing rooster's before, but it kicks up even more shiazz now (just check out my avatar :lol:) Just be careful not to advance it too much ~ I only moved the pickup sensor a couple mm's. Also keep in mind when you egg out the mount hole, do NOT to egg the lower end of the hole so that you know exactly where to return the pickup sensor to; if you want/need to return to stock.

I'm running a high-compression piston with 91 octane pump gas and haven't experienced any detonation (that I've noticed), so it's all good here in the 916.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.