PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke 4000kms on it today but I think I've killed it. I've got a horrible knocking sound coming from where the cylinder meets the case. I thought at first it was the head, but after adjusting the valves twice and putting my stock exhaust on it, the sound is definitely coming from the crank area. The engine still runs good but that knocking sound is getting loud. I'm going to try to re-tighten the head to see if it's just a leaking head gasket, if that doesn't work, I guess I'll pull the head and see if a circlip has come off. This sucks! I guess the commute over the bridge wasn't good....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4000kms = 2485 miles. My commute is only about 5 miles each way, but lately I've been taking a bridge and hitting top speed each time, (indicated 80kph) but I think I've over revved it or something.....

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
drizz said:
I'll take a zb with a blown motor :)
who's up for a drive to canada! :lol:

at least you have two and won't lose any seat time.

sounds like it's time for an engine rebuild... 88, 106, 117... 124?:D

edit... looks like you already have an 88 :p

·
Administrator
11,380 Posts
fastbmw said:
I just broke 4000kms on it today but I think I've killed it. I've got a horrible knocking sound coming from where the cylinder meets the case. I thought at first it was the head, but after adjusting the valves twice and putting my stock exhaust on it, the sound is definitely coming from the crank area. The engine still runs good but that knocking sound is getting loud. I'm going to try to re-tighten the head to see if it's just a leaking head gasket, if that doesn't work, I guess I'll pull the head and see if a circlip has come off. This sucks! I guess the commute over the bridge wasn't good....
Fast...

What motor has blown up the 88cc or the stock 50 cc??

tmas

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
fastbmw said:
4000kms = 2485 miles. My commute is only about 5 miles each way, but lately I've been taking a bridge and hitting top speed each time, (indicated 80kph) but I think I've over revved it or something.....

oh damn. i first read that and thought....DAMN THAT MUST BE FAST!

a special moment for me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I pulled off the top end and everything is looking fine so far but I can't get the wrist pin out of the cylinder. I've removed both circlips and i can slide the wrist pin back and forth but it won't come out of the piston. Any suggestions? I'm hoping all I have is a bad wrist pin instead of a ruined crank.

·
Registered
87 Posts
put a socket on one side(3/8 style,not sure of the sizes maybe 8-10mm and a 15mm) that is the same size as the wrist pin and on the other side of the piston put a socket that the pin will pass through and use some large channel locks or a c-clamp to compress the sockets and press out the pin from the piston.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crowdlg said:
put a socket on one side(3/8 style,not sure of the sizes maybe 8-10mm and a 15mm) that is the same size as the wrist pin and on the other side of the piston put a socket that the pin will pass through and use some large channel locks or a c-clamp to compress the sockets and press out the pin from the piston.

Well the wrist pin popped out perfectly with crowdlg's tip. I measured the piston pin and piston pin bore, The piston pin measures at 12.97mm, a tiny bit past the wear limit in the manual but the piston pin bore measures at 12.98, a lot tighter than stock honda pistons measure (they should measure between 13.002-13.008. So the wrist pin is a bit tight to piston but I don't think that would be causing the knocking....crap I guess I have to tear it down more.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.