PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these two things hard to install i got the 4th gear shift drum that has 1 down and 3 up gears.

·
Registered
363 Posts
lightle09 said:
Are these two things hard to install i got the 4th gear shift drum that has 1 down and 3 up gears.

Have you ever split a motor before or at least tore down a top end? They really aren't hard as long as you pay attention and have some mechanical knowledge. I have a service manual i can email you if you would need it. Only issue's you will run into is getting the clutch nuts off and your flywheel. For the clutch nuts just stick a penny between the gear to hold them still and you will break them loose no problem. For the fly wheel, BUY A PULLER! You can fight it for an hour or more and run the risk of screwing something up or you can spend the 15 bucks and have it off in 30 seconds. As for a case splitter, it makes it easier but they will come apart with out using one. Just keep wiggling back and forth on the case till it comes off. Don't stick a screw driver in there to pry them apart then you will mess up the sealing area of the case. Any other issue's or concerns just give me a shout.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never torn down a top end or anything like this but i have knowledge of some friends doing it I have already taken my engine off the bike and have taken my right side case cover off so all i can see is my clutch and gears so what should I do first

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
lightle09 said:
I have never torn down a top end or anything like this but i have knowledge of some friends doing it I have already taken my engine off the bike and have taken my right side case cover off so all i can see is my clutch and gears so what should I do first

Take a lot of pics as you go. They can be extremely useful later during reassembly.

Get an impact driver and pull the clutch nut off.

PS: Take a lot of pics...

·
Registered
163 Posts
if your not taking out the crank you dont really need to take off the clutch nut, you can split it without removing the auto clutch

·
Registered
363 Posts
korchak10x said:
if your not taking out the crank you dont really need to take off the clutch nut, you can split it without removing the auto clutch

Auto clutch has to come off before you can remove the clutch hub if i remember correctly. They both slide on and off together once you loosen the nuts.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Starting with a clean motor and work area, using the right tool's (not a hammer,screwdriver and pliers) making notes/taking pic's and not rushing through it, you'll be able to do it....ask questions when they come up, there is alot of knowledge on this site...good luck

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Service Manual:

http://boss.csteam.free.fr/Moto/SM_KLX110-A1.PDF

Written in English, complete with photographs:

Clutch Removal: page 107

Kickstart Shaft Removal: page 113

Crankcase Splitting: page 137

"Remove:

Cylinder Head (see Engine Top End chapter)

Cylinder (see Engine Top End chapter)

Piston (see Engine Top End chapter)

Clutch Cover (see Clutch chapter)

Primary Clutch, Secondary Clutch (see Clutch chapter)

Kick Shaft (see Clutch chapter)

Oil Filter & Oil Pump (see Engine Lubrication System chapter)

External Shift Mechanism (see Clutch chapter)

Magneto Cover (see Electrical System chapter)

Magneto Flywheel (see Electrical System chapter)

Gear Position Switch

Crankcase Screws [A]

• Using the crankcase splitting tool assembly [A], split the crankcase."

PS: Take pics...

·
Registered
363 Posts
lightle09 said:
I just took the primary clutch hub off and I dont know what to do next. help me out

Ok, once you have both the auto clutch and clutch basket out then you can take the allen head bolt out of the round disk toward the top. There will be a star looking piece where the shift shaft goes up to so you can change gears. Then there are two bolts you need to remove that hold the assembly on that has the little roller that keeps the shift drum from changing gears automatically. Once you have that off you can pull the shift star off. There will be a small pin in the back side of it so keep an eye out for that. Once you get that done you can go ahead and pull the shifter shaft out of the motor. Once you have everything out of the clutch side you can start taking out the case bolts. They are phillips screws and they are in there pretty good so i doubt you will be able to get them out with a normal screw driver. ( at least mine wouldn't) Just use a Impact driver with a # 3 bit. Smack the driver with a hammer and they come loose with no problem. ( I replaced all the phillips screws with the two brothers allen head bolts) Once you have all the bolts out your ready to split the cases. If your not using a case splitter just tap around on it with a dead blow hammer and keep working the cases back and forth till you get them apart. Then swap out your parts and clean you cases all up and use some good sealant to seal the cases back up since they dont use a gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts