PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last fall I came across the ZB50 and began searching for one. With the assistance of a cousin, I located two! I am working on getting paperwork sorted, and titles in my name before I do anything major.

Bike 1- pretty much stock. It starts and runs, but not well. I will need to clean or rebuild the carb, and maybe change the gas lines. This bike came without a gas tank so I stole the one from bike 2, and ordered a skyteam to replace the one missing.

Bike 2- pretty well stripped down with a Lifan 125 motor installed. The choke lever is missing on the carb, so it’s hard to start and keep running at the moment! MOST the stock parts (including the stock motor w low compression) were included with the sale. This bike actually came with a spare OEM gas tank, but the inside seems pretty rusty to me.

Ideally, I would like to return one bike back to stock using parts from both bikes. Once that is complete I’d like to use what’s left to make the second bike appear stock (working head light, rail light, speedo, etc) but maybe with an 88cc kit. Or maybe I’ll Keep the Lifan who knows!

Will a newer motor from an XR/CRF 50 bolt right into the ZB? Can an XR/CRF 50 motor run the lights/electric for a ZB application?

·
Super Moderator
10,390 Posts
Will a newer motor from an XR/CRF 50 bolt right into the ZB? Can an XR/CRF 50 motor run the lights/electric for a ZB application?

y
You got the ZB bug. :arms: Yes,the xr/crf motor will bolt in. To run the electrical you will need to remove the stator and flywheel from the ZB50 motor and transfer it to the xr/crf motor. Should be a direct bolt up because they are both 12 volt cdi motors.
tmas

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a quick update, not too much progress has been made on these ZB’s. I have collected a few items that I hope to use in the builds.

I have reconsidered the “end plan” for now and that is to make both bikes appear as close to stock as possible but with 88cc kits and bigger carbs. In my area I don’t anymore speed than the 88cc kits will provide....yet.

This far I have purchased a TB Race head/20mm carb kit to install on bike #1. This should hopefully square away the kinks this bike currently has. Everything else will basically remain the same.

I also purchased a complete and running modded out 2006 crf 50 (see below). This bike came with a few goodies I would like to use including a motor built up with a takegawa 88cc kit/carb. The bike also has a fast50’s exhaust but I’m not certain, is it a direct bolt on? The plan for now is to get the ZB back to a motor manufactured by Honda, and probably put the Lifan 125 into the CRF50 and either sell it, or keep it. Another thing I will have to do during this process is make sure the motor will be ready to run the 12v accessories. If any of the other components from the sonar bike would make the ZB better, I’m open to hearing suggestions.

Any insight the more experienced folks have for me along the way will be listened to with open ears.

·
Super Moderator
10,390 Posts
The bike also has a fast50’s exhaust but I’m not certain, is it a direct bolt on?
make sure the motor will be ready to run the 12v accessories.
The motor is a direct bolt in but you will need a different intake to clear the frame. I highly doubt the exhaust will work unless you bend it.
The best thing to do for lighting is transfer the ZB engine flywheel and stator onto the CRF motor stator plate. Its a direct bolt up and it will let you have functional lights and signals.
tmas

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor is a direct bolt in but you will need a different intake to clear the frame. I highly doubt the exhaust will work unless you bend it.
The best thing to do for lighting is transfer the ZB engine flywheel and stator onto the CRF motor stator plate. Its a direct bolt up and it will let you have functional lights and signals.
tmas
Thanks TMAS

Perhaps I’ll scrounge around CL and see if I can find another local deal on an A/M pipe to bend and make work. I’d like quiet, but feel like a stocker may be too restrictive, thoughts?

What intake would you recommend switching to in order to avoid clearance issues?

·
Super Moderator
10,390 Posts
What intake would you recommend switching to in order to avoid clearance issues?
I used to have pics and info on photobucket & Honda50.com but unfortunately these sites have had issues over the years.
I will try and get you some pics.
When I had the GPX125 engine in my ZB I used the adjustable adapter between the intake and the cylinder head and it worked fine.
Depends on how much you want to $pend. What's your budget?
tmas

https://tboltusa.com/store/tbparts-12-way-rotating-spacer-20mm-p-1901.html

https://tboltusa.com/store/tbparts-12-way-rotating-spacer-26mm-p-2041.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts