PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I know somebody on ThumperTalk did that and got the Hayes FX9 or something like that Hydralic caliper and its mounts right up to the Storm setup.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I CAN GET MAGURA GUSTAV M JUST LIKE THE KIT THAT COMES WITH THE SR6'S......BUT I CAN GET EM FOR 300 FOR THE ENTIRE KIT WITH ROTOR CALIPER LINE AND LEVER.

IVE SEEN THEM FOR ALOT MORE THAN THAT SO IT WAS JUST A HEADS UP ABOUT A DECENT PRICE ON THEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is not a race bike so i dont need the best stuff out there, im thinking of an economical way to have hydro disk brakes with the sp5's. I talked to storm cycles and they want 130$ for the kit minus the brake caliper and lines and lever. Then i can get the Magura Hydro kit for 69$ ill then have a front disk brake kit with hydro for 200 or so dollars that will work with my stock front hub.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yellow600rr said:
This is not a race bike so i dont need the best stuff out there, im thinking of an economical way to have hydro disk brakes with the sp5's. I talked to storm cycles and they want 130$ for the kit minus the brake caliper and lines and lever. Then i can get the Magura Hydro kit for 69$ ill then have a front disk brake kit with hydro for 200 or so dollars that will work with my stock front hub.

Sorry to chime in so late ~ haven't been online in a while. I actually have the SP-5's and bought Storm's mounts minus the cable actuated Hayes discs. I instead bought a set of Hayes hydraulic downhill brakes from an online mountain bike shop for $98.

You might want to double check to be sure the Magura's mount up the same way as the Hayes do and that they actually are compatible. The cable actuated ones that come in the complete Storm setup are from "Hayes", and I know that Storm designs their components to pretty tight specs... In fact, I opted for the 8" rotor and had to use a dremmel to shave a little off the caliper housing because it was a VERY tight fit and was rubbing against the rim (I later upgraded to a 12" rim, so that was no longer an issue).

Good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Guys is what me that used the HFX9 on the BBR SP5's....... the HFX9 is probably the BEST hydraulic brake to use on the fiddie as the discs are self re-aligning and will bend back to regular shape after being bent.. basically they are heat treated and will go back to original shape as soon as the brake is used and the disc warms up.....

i did buy the storm kit but later cut a foes adapter to fit the square stub as the storm kit runs an 8" rotor as opposed to the foes running 6"... if i knew how to cut and past pictures i would, any ideas

·
Registered
81 Posts
That was the reason i changed from drum to disc as the drums just heated up and brake fade was a massive issue on the tight wooded tracks we ride. I can honestly say the brake setup was by far the best Handling upgrade made to the bike so far. I personally went for disc on the rear but its not essential.... as a matter of fact its a little too agressive ( i need twinkle toes)... as for strong well ive had no problems yet as as HAYES are the only minidisk that self straighten they are prolly the best on the market or certainly value for money. being a closed system they dont need much maintenance either which is nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.