PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1983 ATC 185s,200s,70 and three CT70s
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance!

I am new to the CT70 but am not new with restorations. I hear if I glass bead then vapor hone I will destroy the cases for concourse consideration? How do you guys clean the outer cases for a factory shine but not alter the aluminum? The aged dull look is not my favorite.

I understand the cases and head are NOT painted from the factory. The cly is painted black and the side covers and pull starter are painted silver is this correct?

FYI you may notice the pics are of a 1983 ATC70. I am restoring this as a warm up to my 1970 CT70 I plan to do next month.

Thank You JT

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Blasting them, with dry glass will certainly alter the surface...but vapor honing them with about 40lbs of pressure and super fine media will not. For a full concourse, try degreasing them really well, then vapor honing them with about 40lbs of pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what i need to know! The local high end shop charges $125 an hour but it won't be too bad since they are so small and I only need the outside vapor honed? Hopefully they will have very fine media. How in the world do you find OEM ATC70 Plastic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Atc70 plastics are hard to find & rare. They can also get pretty expensive. Another route you can go is to get Maier plastics.
tmas

Maier back fender

Maier front fender
That was what i was afraid of. I will go the Maier rout. I do my own zinc/chromate plating on the small stuff, nuts, bolts ect but hear that is not going to cut it for a concorse build?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts