PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where will people draw the line with modifying their fiddy?

What really finalized my opinion on this is that I was skimming through the Dec. Motocross Action and came across an article on Foes Racing. It went on and on about their "large backbone" chromo. frame and waay extended rear swingarm. In my opinion this bike is SILLY, I mean it looks almost as tall as a 125, and they talk about a 9" longer wheelbase than stock. I mean c'mon guys what are you thinking!? It also went on about their billet wheels, 6 piston calipers, etc...etc...

The whole "fad" on us grown men riding and racing these is that they are small and easily maneuvered, etc... Not that I'm against hopping up these bikes to make them more "adult friendly" by adding bore kits, and upgrading the suspension, heck It helps pay my mortgage!

The thing that concerns me is that it seems that people are diverting away from the original concept behind the ever-growing popularity of these bikes... small-frame, short wheelbase, 10" tire, "play bikes" Sure some people have unlimited budgets and can afford these high-dollar machines, but I think it's starting to get out of control.

So let's hear what you guys have to say about this subject, when does it go too far??

Thank you!

Don

·
Registered
446 Posts
We need to make rules that help keep the 50 fun and not too unfair. People putting 9 grand into their bikes should not be allowed to race. This is becoming ridiculous. I mean, we have people putting a xr50 engine in a +9 inch chassis that would be way to big for a 11 year old kid. For the riders like me(the ones who have to work to buy all our stuff) It doesn't matter how much money we have, we will always be worse than the guy with 8 inches of suspension and a 125cc motor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree. My idea is that any one of your friends ( some that have never ridden before) can get on a fitty with a stock motor or slightly modified, and can tear around the track with you and race. All in fun, its when you keep the bike small and in somewhat stock form is when you see who can really ride( 50 to 88 cc with stock auto clutch)... but then again.. i like the crazy stuff too.. just would not drop the coin on it. Going to far is getting caught up in the " i gotta upgrade" end of it. I have mostly replaced everything on mine except the plastic, wheels, head, tranny, cdi. Everything else is aftermarket from fast 50's, five0, or bbr. Most of the stuff I replaced was because I broke the original. about 2,800 dollars including the bike invested. I think I may be getting a lil crazy myself.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm with ya Don, i think we are slowly pulling away from the play bike concept. there getting to crazy. there needs to be limits and better guidlines for rules on racing classes, im trying to set my bike up and am haing a hard time figuring out my limits in the stock class

·
Registered
446 Posts
What rules can be made that will not restrict the development of xr50 products and racing? There needs to be some sort of class that makes it fun and even without stunting the industry's growth.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i agree with logikal, i think you should be able to do whatever your want to it. no rules or regulations, just different classes. for instance a 88 class, then a unlimited class. i think its cool people have so many options to do what they want, and decide for themselves how far they want to go. its just another form of riding, as long as your having fun... and ya i do think that foes bike is getting rediculous, i wouldnt get it myself, but i think its cool to have that option for people who do.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well I kind of agree with you guys. I think that in certain classes there should be more limitations, like in the 88 class no more than 6 inches of suspension. That would help the riders who do not want to spend massive amounts of cash on their bikes

·
Registered
491 Posts
for me anything over what im doin to my bike is going a lil to far. things like 12 inch rims, big bike style frames, anything over 88cc kit, suspension travel u would normaly see on an 80 (foes) is to much. sure that stuff preforms better but its just a play bike, if it was really ment to be a full out race bike it would come like that. but some things are nessesary for it to function properly for someone over its intended users weight. new suspesion or new springs, seat cover and foam, tires, pipes, small BBKs things like that i think are ok to me. plus anything to make it look good it ok too (plastics, graphics, piant, etc) because there supposed to be pit bikes and everyone wants something cool to look at.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Things like the Foes bike do not bother me, because it just shows how creative some people can be and that the limits are endless. I personally wouldnt go farther than an 88 superhead, and a big bike swingarm and fork setup. BBR super pro and forks increased wheelbase what 3-4"? Thats acceptable to me... but 9" is way out of my area.

·
Registered
446 Posts
1. My avatar is better than yours

2. There is nothing that compensates for a ugly bike and why would we have even bought the fiddy in the first place unless it sucked? It is such a bad bike, that is why it is so much fun to ride!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think all that 10.5 in of travel, 124cc big bores, 9 in longer wheelbases and all that stuff is overkill. I think just 6 in travel, 88 kits are good enough with the few other personal and cosmetic upgrades like and stuff that you may break or that is broken.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When you say that if these were meant to be full blown race bikes, they would sell them that way. WEll YZ125's and every thing along those lines are meant to be race bikes. LEt's take a look at how much RC's bike is worth...hmm...somewhere in the neighbourhood of $200,000. So you can't say that RAce bike stuff. It's all in prsonnal preference I guess, and I say 88 is the biggst engine size. BUt I have to say that the Foes frame IS a woirk of art. The engone mounti is like a frame brace at the same time! To each his own though! :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
when is enough?

when you have no more money left

even then you can get some more and mod mod mod.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.