PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you get the tires off of the rim of a 82 z50?

i've unbolted the entire wheel/hub, deflated the tube, pushed the stem through the rim and they stil won't budge??

i don't want to put a tire iron to it because i know the steel rims are fragile

any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine were rusted to the rim so bad it wasn't funny, and I struggle for 2 days. Get out your tin snips or wire cutters and cut the bead wire and cut them off. Have fun:)

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i've unbolted everythying and deflated the tube should it just fall apart basically?

that's what i figured but i could be wrong???

·
Registered
427 Posts
I took two long flat-bladed screwdrivers and worked them between the rim halves through the hub hole in an "X" fashion, so to force the rim halves apart enough to get to the bead. With the halves forced apart, I took a thin-bladed screwdriver and worked it between the bead and the rim and gradually was able to get the tire away from the rim. Once one half was off, I manhandled the other half off IIRC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I clamped the tire into a bench vise as close to the edge of the rim as possible and then took a curved prybar and worked the rim out of it. Took a little wiggling but they eventually loosened up.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
They get rust under them,makes em hard to get off. I use a hacksaw. I did burn them off once. Had to blast rim after.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I used to cut and burn etc.

Now I use this...

Motorcycle Bead Breaker

It has done an amazing job. WD40 and this I have been able to get some stubborn rims apart. Of coarse some are too far gone, but out here in the west (less moisture =less rust) I have have been able to get mine all apart.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I always use WD40 and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Then like others use a screwdriver to work around the bead. Its not easy, but it works. Just be careful the rims DO warp/bend easily.

-HFM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts