PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The older front ends are a little shorter. Just remember you need a clamps,wheel, brake assembly, forks.... Maybe look on craigslist for a blown up or cheap 65 and part out the rest and pay for you front end. I did that with a 2005 KTM65 and paid for the bike on top keeping the front end for my KLX110

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have decided to install a KX 65 front end on my sons 2010 KLX110L. I have no Idea how to do this. Do I buy the forks and triple clamps off ebay then what. Thanks
I put an 03 kx65 front on my L. You need to get the whole front end w wheel brakes, all of it. On the L the lower stearing head bearing is bigger than the older bikes so keep that in mind. Something else to know: the stearing stem from the kx65 is shorter than the L so the upper nut will not reach the kx65 threads. the bearing kit from pax racing takes care of this. there r three ways to get It to work. One is to use the kx65 triple clamp setup and a bearing kit from pax. You will have some low bars though with little ability to slide forks up in the clamps. Another way is to take the kx65 staering stem out of the lower triple and have the one from your bike pressed and welded in. Not really necessary to do this now that pax sells kit just mentioned. Third way is to buy a whole aftermarket 110 to kx65 triple clamp conversion setup upper and lower from red baron. I used this route cuz it offered the most adjsustability of fork and bar height. I found one used on here though. Otherwise its an expensive part but it is the best way to do it. It comes w 110 stearing stem already pressed into it so u really dont need the pax bearing kit. In fact if you can get stock one off stem wo damaging it u can re use what u have. Now remember this is going to raise the front end a lot. As soon as u complete this conversion the bike will sit like a chopper. Now you will have to install at least a three inch longer rear swngarm. Once you add that length to swingarm the shock is going to feel junk because of new leverage point of rear tire being farther out so shock will be next. I just want u to be aware that even if u find front end for 200 bucks this project can still eat 1000 or close to it by time front and rear are done. If I were to do it again I woulda put KTM 65 front on mine. Just better forks and inverted.

Reactions: Mahinsminis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put an 03 kx65 front on my L. You need to get the whole front end w wheel brakes, all of it. On the L the lower stearing head bearing is bigger than the older bikes so keep that in mind. Something else to know: the stearing stem from the kx65 is shorter than the L so the upper nut will not reach the kx65 threads. the bearing kit from pax racing takes care of this. there r three ways to get It to work. One is to use the kx65 triple clamp setup and a bearing kit from pax. You will have some low bars though with little ability to slide forks up in the clamps. Another way is to take the kx65 staering stem out of the lower triple and have the one from your bike pressed and welded in. Not really necessary to do this now that pax sells kit just mentioned. Third way is to buy a whole aftermarket 110 to kx65 triple clamp conversion setup upper and lower from red baron. I used this route cuz it offered the most adjsustability of fork and bar height. I found one used on here though. Otherwise its an expensive part but it is the best way to do it. It comes w 110 stearing stem already pressed into it so u really dont need the pax bearing kit. In fact if you can get stock one off stem wo damaging it u can re use what u have. Now remember this is going to raise the front end a lot. As soon as u complete this conversion the bike will sit like a chopper. Now you will have to install at least a three inch longer rear swngarm. Once you add that length to swingarm the shock is going to feel junk because of new leverage point of rear tire being farther out so shock will be next. I just want u to be aware that even if u find front end for 200 bucks this project can still eat 1000 or close to it by time front and rear are done. If I were to do it again I woulda put KTM 65 front on mine. Just better forks and inverted.
Thanks for the great explanation. What do I do If I don't want to install a new swing arm?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How do I find the Used Redbaron triple clamp on this web site?

·
Registered
824 Posts
The triple clamps from Tbolt are not for kx65 forks. They only work with USD forks. The best bang for your buck will probably be a complete kx65 front end with brakes and wheel. Then buy the $100 pax racing bearing kit for a kx65 to 110L from Paxracing. That's all you'll need for that set up. Although, people are basically giving away Marzocchi front ends right now in the classy's here if your willing to spend a little bit more.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks Everyone, I know this topic has been covered so many times, It is still confusing even when I read other peoples threads. Thank you !!!
Everyone on this forum is happy to help out. 110L's are kinda tricky to mod. Just make sure u hear from actual 110L owners on what mod parts will fit on your bike before u buy. Looks like you have the front end all sorted out. I (like most 110L owners) have found out the hard way that some 110 mod parts require extra fab work to make them fit on a 110L. Good luck, and post up some pics when you get the bike set up.

·
Registered
783 Posts
U pretty much got the info u need. I think KTM 65 or set of zokes is best bet for fitment.- keep in mind zokes makes the KTM 65 forks - I dont think ur going to get away wo having to get a longer swingarm. Others may have found a way. If not plus three whoop style swinger is easy to find cheap. Id throw a dnm shock on that like we discussed before and let him rock out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have you done anything to the bike yet, exhaust, intake, etc? Any suspension mods like heavy springs, top clamp, etc? IMO jumping up to a longer travel front end is something you really should not do without doing a complete build up of the rear suspension (long travel swingarm, shock, rim, heavy duty spokes) it just won't handle very well. I've spent a lot of $$ to get what your bike has now, 4-speed, manual clutch, longer travel, and your's has e-start. Otherwise, if he needs better suspension and power it's best to sell it and get a Pitster Pro, Piranha or someone's used BBR primmy, etc. Not here to bash anyone's suggestions on your topic, just once you start doing big mods (suspension, motor mods, etc.) you end up with a bike that has very little left on it that came from the factory.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have you done anything to the bike yet, exhaust, intake, etc? Any suspension mods like heavy springs, top clamp, etc? IMO jumping up to a longer travel front end is something you really should not do without doing a complete build up of the rear suspension (long travel swingarm, shock, rim, heavy duty spokes) it just won't handle very well. I've spent a lot of $$ to get what your bike has now, 4-speed, manual clutch, longer travel, and your's has e-start. Otherwise, if he needs better suspension and power it's best to sell it and get a Pitster Pro, Piranha or someone's used BBR primmy, etc. Not here to bash anyone's suggestions on your topic, just once you start doing big mods (suspension, motor mods, etc.) you end up with a bike that has very little left on it that came from the factory.
No lie - I purchased a brand new 110L off the showroom floor in 2010. Today the Frame, rear hub, case halves (though they are ported for stroker) and a few gears in the transmission....are all that remain of the original bike. Everything else is aftermarket.

Reactions: 234wheeler

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Looks like I have started down the KLX MOD road. I purchased a complete KX65 front end from someone in the forum, I also purchased a Yoshimura exhaust using his %35 off retail hookit code from being sponsored by Yoshimura, I am also ordering a new rear shock,
the things we do for our kids, A month ago he asked for all of stuff and I said no way!! now look at me I am drinking the pitbike coolaid. He just loves this bike. I will post pictures of Christmas and when We Mod the bike. Oh yeah the new exhaust is so it wont be so loud, he loves riding it with out the stock baffle in the stock exhaust.

this is a Gopro video of him riding it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
What year forks? What triple clamp setup? I wanted to let you know of yet another option you have. You can use the KX65 lower triple clamp and the KX65 steering stem...then get the KX65 to KLX110 (make sure you specify its an L) bearing kit from PAX Racing...then you can call Red Barron Racing and just order the top KX65 triple clamp and bar mount. Your upper and lower fork clamps wont match but it wont be terribly noticeable. This is cheaper than buying the whole upper and lower triple clamp from red baron and will offer the adjustability of the fork height I think your going to need. Red Barons number is 1-877-870-8400. Tell them what you are doing and that you just need the upper KX65 clamp and bar mount. I would run 110 bend pro taper bars. As for the rear...I would start looking for a plus 3 inch hoop style swingarm. Your going to need it once you get the forks on and see how high the front sits. Here are some close ups of my setup so you have some comparisons to make when your forks show up. The first photo is of the whole triple setup for adapting KX65 forks to a 110. Like I mentioned before, if you bought this whole setup, you don't need the bearing kit from pax (maybe new stock ones if you damage your lower removing it). But what Im thinking is just use the stock setup for the lower triple and buy just the upper part of this setup and the bar mount. If you use the stock KX65 upper mount there is almost no ability to slide the forks up in the triple clamp to lower the front and its going to sit WAY high. Just an option for you. Zoom into the other pic of the bike to the forks to see the setup Im running with. Auto part Bicycle part Motorcycle accessories
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motocross Supermoto

·
Registered
783 Posts
Motorcycle Vehicle Motocross Supermoto Motorcycle racing
Vehicle Motocross Spoke Tire Motorcycle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motocross Motorcycle racing
Here is a comparison of what a stock 110L looks like compared to a 110L with KX65 front forks and a plus 3 swinger installed...

Reactions: 234wheeler
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.