PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Honda cy50 R+P
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
New to this and need some help or info my Honda cy50 run great cold but the engine get very hot after riding approx 7 kilometres. Will not idle at this point engine stalls let it cool for 10-15 minuets it will start and you can smell the hot oil
Also noticed that the primary ignition coil in flywheel gets very hot can anyone shed any light on this cheers Alan
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

· Registered
132 Posts
Not familiar with this platform but with these air cooled motors you dont have much options to cool them down. I would try going up to the next size main jet to richen up the mixture a bit. If the fueling is lean it will run hotter. Other than that you could try an oil cooler.

· Registered
1,578 Posts
You may also want to confirm that the oil pump is working, and oil is getting up to the head. These engines will FEEL very hot to the touch when they are running normally. It's hard to judge what is TOO hot, unless you use a thermometer of some sort. Infrared thermometer, or maybe a oil dipstick type.
You may just have a different problem altogether...fuel restriction, or maybe need a valve adjustment.

· Registered
Honda cy50 R+P
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may also want to confirm that the oil pump is working, and oil is getting up to the head. These engines will FEEL very hot to the touch when they are running normally. It's hard to judge what is TOO hot, unless you use a thermometer of some sort. Infrared thermometer, or maybe a oil dipstick type.
You may just have a different problem altogether...fuel restriction, or maybe need a valve adjustment.
Thanks for the information pump and oil movement is good getting infared thermometer from my mate 👍
I’d pull the valve cover and have a look at the cam and journals it rides in.
Thanks for the info top end all very good and receiving oil. When I had the head off noticed that the valve ports had been opened up 🥴.Will try putting a 20mm carb on instead of the 16mm

· Registered
2,134 Posts
As a cy50 Ride and Play is japanse you will probably only find japanese manuals. Try to download a manual for cb50/xl50/cy50 those can be found online in pdf format, in english. Those engines are the same except some details like carburation and flywheel advance/retard.
Ape 50 manuals are in japanese.

ps. a few cm left above the sparkplug there is a little bolt, loosen that and oil should come out whilst the engine is running. (or after some kicking.)

edit, 20mm is a bit steep for 50cc, better for 80cc, I would not go bigger than 18mm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.