PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
White Light Material property Font Auto part
Eye Eyebrow Automotive tire Wheel Wood

Hello again, I found and bought this online, the one with my Z50 is not original, or at least it is one of the modern ones that does not have written about the oil. The problem is when I received it, I could not see anything in the photographs, I am removing paint and I find this surprise. A crack, it's terrible, and it's in a very bad place. I am very sorry for the quality of the photography, but I think that to understand the problem it is more than enough. Do you think there is a solution or maybe I should go looking for another one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a crack or a casting flaw? If it's a crack..IMO.... I would replace it.
What does the inside look like?
tmas
It is not a defect, it is a crack caused, and it is in a key place because it is where pressure is exerted when stepping on the lkickstart. I bought the case clutch online, it is a used vintage piece, it is not a new piece that can be changed due to a defect, it was painted lightly with gray spay and the scream would not be appreciated. It seems that the crack is not fully open. I sand a little inside but nothing can be seen, even so because of the position where it worries me, if I were in any other place I would simply repair with some aluminum resin, because I plan to paint the piece. Then there are some detailed photos.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already found other clutch case covers online and they seem to be in good condition, no cracks can be seen. This seller has some for sale. It's a shame that this vintage piece, with the writing, is almost impossible to find in the UK. Only the new ones, like the one that my Z50 now carries, is not the correct one for the year, really these new pieces remind me of Asian reproductions, I think my 1978 Z50a is one of the last or the last one that had the clutch case cover with the writing. But in the United States there are many and at a very good price, the problem is the high shipping charges and taxes. They quadruple their price. And it is a great risk, because it comes to you by mail, I cannot hold it in my hand, in the store, to check if it is really in good condition.:cry:

·
Super Moderator
4,305 Posts
Yes, also agree with Rustynuts and Tmas. What appears to be a crack in the metal is actually the remnant of the sand mold cracking. It looks like a crack, but if it is truly cracked, it can be seen on the backside and extending through the hole. I would recommend sanding it down a little before giving up on the cover. You may find that it disappears.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the advice and encouragement. Actually the crack is only in front, there is nothing in the hole or behind. I still take a risk and put it on the Honda, I'll be on the lookout for oil loss

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 277026 View attachment 277027

Hello again, I found and bought this online, the one with my Z50 is not original, or at least it is one of the modern ones that does not have written about the oil. The problem is when I received it, I could not see anything in the photographs, I am removing paint and I find this surprise. A crack, it's terrible, and it's in a very bad place. I am very sorry for the quality of the photography, but I think that to understand the problem it is more than enough. Do you think there is a solution or maybe I should go looking for another one.
JB Weld will fix it no problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts