PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an 88cc kit with a head. Would you get the Honda TB kit or the Atomic 50's 88cc kit. The Honda TB is 420 and the Atomic is $439. Are they both the same exact thing?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
There the same but get it from TrailBikes. Not only is TB a little cheaper, but you will never find someone who stands behind their stuff and has as good of customer service as Mike at TB. I would pay extra just to get the service that Mike has.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now I'm just lost. I see this alleged "perfect" TB company with the "perfect" 88cc kit that is about half the price of other peoples kits with head. Then why doens't everyone run this engine? Most 88cc kits minus the head are about the price of the full TB engine with head and carb. What is the explanation for that?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Because Mike understands that all these other companies are just ripping you off. He is trying to make a differnce and is one of a few who are trying to make this Pitbike scene more affordable. Alot of it also has to do with the fact that Mike gets all of his bores and stuff straight from the production factory so it doesnt go through a bunch of second hand dealers. And the reason alot of people dont run them is because either they dont know about TrailBikes, or they are blinded by the stupid saying you get what you pay for. I like to say this instead, you get out what you put in researching what is best and what works, not what you pay. If your smart, youll get something just as good or better for less, just gotta look.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Let me explain this in business terms.

Trail bikes has parts manufactured to their specifications, and sells directly to the customer.

Takegitaco parts are manufactured for a Japanese company, who sells them to the US Distributors, who in turn sells them to your dealer and in turn sells the parts to the customer.

Since everyone needs to make profit, which option do you think would allow you to save the most money?

Seems to me by cutting out the middle man and selling cheaper is the way to go.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Jetster220 said:
Because Mike understands that all these other companies are just ripping you off. He is trying to make a differnce and is one of a few who are trying to make this Pitbike scene more affordable. Alot of it also has to do with the fact that Mike gets all of his bores and stuff straight from the production factory so it doesnt go through a bunch of second hand dealers. And the reason alot of people dont run them is because either they dont know about TrailBikes, or they are blinded by the stupid saying you get what you pay for. I like to say this instead, you get out what you put in researching what is best and what works, not what you pay. If your smart, youll get something just as good or better for less, just gotta look.

yep, hes the main guy not the third one down the line or whatever. and in a way you do get what you pay for but to compare the cost of a product that is being sold direct and not through 2-3 people is almost impossible. the takagawa kits are really exspensive but you know what........the markup of buying a "brand name" product, well your paying for their name. with TB their name isnt huge and costs to run their shop and employees is far less than that of takagawa or kitaco. hence giving you, the consumer, a great price for good quality stuff.

people want reassurance, especially with motors. they know the name kitaco and takagawa and have probably seen others with those products and know for a fact that they work good and last long. some people will pay the extra for the reassurance. while some like to take chances and go with the cheaper stuff to find out if its really good or not. some times they will buy crap and then sometimes you get good stuff. then the word spreads that this company makes some good stuff then before ya know it they are a brand name company and is known by all.

i dont know about everyone in here but i could safely say that 90% of the members here that have been in the dirt bike world or fiddy world for a little time.....can say they have heard of takagawa or kitaco. where as less than half can say they have heard about TB.

hope this helps you understand the whole big picture.

p.s. sorry if its too long and your impatient...just read half now half later... :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the markup of buying a "brand name" product, well your paying for their name. with TB their name isnt huge and costs to run their shop and employees is far less than that of takagawa or kitaco. hence giving you, the consumer, a great price for good quality stuff.

We'll I'm an economics major and I study economics, so I didn't really need that and its only partially correct. He CAN sell his for what others sell it for theoretically. However, he doesn't that makes him a good guy or his product is not as good. Which is true? I think the later is false. I am going to order his full 88cc kit because I believe that his stuff is good. I am just afraid of getting knock off face honda stuff off of thos fake Lifan engines they make, and thats why I was scared. I thought that is what he is selling. I guess nobody would know either way.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
his stuff is definitely excellent quality. His parts are made in the same place as Kitaco and Tak.,in Taiwan. There are a lot of ppl on here that have his stuff and will definitely tell you it is not crap.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Yellowtoes85 said:
We'll I'm an economics major and I study economics, so I didn't really need that and its only partially correct. He CAN sell his for what others sell it for theoretically. However, he doesn't that makes him a good guy or his product is not as good. Which is true? I think the later is false. I am going to order his full 88cc kit because I believe that his stuff is good. I am just afraid of getting knock off face honda stuff off of thos fake Lifan engines they make, and thats why I was scared. I thought that is what he is selling. I guess nobody would know either way.

and of course he CAN sell them at that price. never said he couldnt. but you being a economics major should know that nobody knows the name and would be skeptical to buy their stuff when they can get the been around for years product and have actually heard a ton of feedback from different people with their different applications for the same price. honestly if you had the choice in front of you yesterday to go with a TB 88 kit for 420 or the same kit from takagawa for 420. what would you buy??.................................. thats what i thought.

so he sells them for a good price to get out there because people ALWAYS look for a deal and if they see one they will question it.....well you saw it, you questioned it, and now you have found out that the performance to cost ratio is much better with TB.

i think i have proven a very well point here(as well as z88r) and you need to get your head back in those books. :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I am not arguing with that fact at all. That I see. At this point I just want to make sure that he's not selling me what those Lifan engines have. A friend of mine bought their 50cc and it looks like XR50 parts but its cheaper quality. Does anyone have a picture of the TB cylinder and head installed.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I wish I had just bought the whole TB kit to start with, instead I went with the Takegawa s stage kit . It was almost enough power, but I needed a little more . So I ended up putting on a ported TB head , hi comp. piston and 20mm carb kit . So I sold everything from the s stage kit except for the cylinder ..... Now I have the power I was looking for , But I ended up spending more than I needed to , and I had to tear the motor down twice. Heres a pic of the TB head w/ Takegawa cylinder ... http://planetminis.com/modules/gallery/albums/Dakota569-s-Pics/DSC00203.sized.jpg

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Z88r

Jet,

What's the ducktape for on the left side stator cover?

Hahaha, I was riding and ran over this peice of pipe in the ground I didnt see and it put a whole in it. Havnt went to get my new one yet so Ive been running duct tape lol.[/b]

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
don't get a new one.

1. Get a new piece of painters tape(blue) and put it over the hole.

2. Get some JB weld and fill the hole from the inside, and let it dry.

3. Remove tape, and fill in remaining low spots, and let dry.

4. Sand down high spots (like bondo), clean the cover, prime and paint with a good lacquer silver paint that is oil and gas resistant, and call it a day.

Take the extra $$ you just saved, and purchase more go-fast goodies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.