·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will update post over long periods of time

What is a NICE110 anyway?
TBD​

Why a NICE110 anything?
Three main areas differentiate the NICE110 engine base from what can be built with USA domestic market(USDM) Honda 50/70/90 parts.​

1. The engine cases allow a larger diameter crankshaft than a Honda 50/70 or 90 engine. 50/70 has the least crank diameter clearance. The Honda 90(TRX) is in the middle. The 50/70 base engine can fit a 54mm stroke crank. The 90 base engine can fit a 56mm stroke crank. Both can go further with custom parts. The NICE110 engine cases has crankcase space for a 62mm stroke or more with addition modification.
  2. The transmission has thicker gears and more robust shift forks. Overall heavy duty.
  3. The clutch is the most robust OEM Honda clutch in this engine mount pattern
What am I doing here?
I have been breaking down and looking up the parts for the NICE110 engine part by part for a build I am working on. I have a few pages done and will keep going. The bottom end will be done first. I am using after market top end on my build. I will also try to put together a fact sheet in the NICE110 as all the engine variants have become confusing.​

Link to spreadsheet:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Should be when in stock. My method is to buy TRX90 engine and then buy all bottom end parts that are required to make NICE110. Except the crank BC I'll have different stroke. The final resulting list will be a list of parts to buy from outside the USA to "convert" a TRX90 to a NICE110.

pretty sure 100% of this is available from CMSNL.com.

Reactions: stunt-ur

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I just don't know if it's worth the hassle to go through the program. I've built a "poor man's nice" before, and the list of things starts with a set of engine cases..if you can source engine cases, you can source most other things from that source. But the basics are fundamental.

To build a poor man's Honda Nice, you need to have the following parts from a Honda Nice:
Engine Cases, cylinder, crank, all pieces on the clutch side of crank. You can swap the complete TRX90 transmission and drum and clutch pack, but might need to adjust your clutch plunger. If you use the trx90 transmission, you need to use the right kicker gear...you can buy that or get the whole assembly from Dratv or CHP. Any standard head will do. Use a xr50 deck of desired bore for your piston. Any stator will work. You will need a Nice Stator Cover or you can buy aftermarket from Takegawa or Sex Machine Racing. You will need an oil pump from either takegawa, nice, wave, or chinese midblock, but will need to replace the plastic wheel with a 17t. Cam chain tensioner is same as anything. You need specific center case gaskets, base gasket and head gasket. You'll need engine studs to match..either from a Nice or Chinese midblock and matching dowel pins. That's about it. You can use a Nice Clutch Cover or a Chinese Midblock clutch cover, but the chinese one will require mods.

Alternatively, if you can find a set of Daytona TREX150 Cases, you can use those pretty much interchangably to build the bottom end, but then you have to get a different bolt pattern for your cylinder and head from Chinese Midblock. THis will also allow you to use a normal stator cover. The rest of the equation remains the same.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the engine cases sourced.

Buying a TRX90 engine gets a lot of the individual parts needed at a reduced cost vs buying everything one part at a time.

The list will give anyone the information needed to build a 100% NICE110 engine. I considered a 100% build but it would be a waste of my resources as I want a modified NICE engine.

No desire for the stock cylinder and top end. Do not want the NICE ignition. Prefer clutch cover with oil filter. Stroker crank.

I have gone back and forth on whether I should build it with a NICE crankshaft or not in the manual clutch version of the engine. SEAsia and TRP both have stroker cranks available.

I will use single clutch slingless crank and drive gear that mates up with the NICE clutch. Aka dte150 62.7mm stroker crank and some drive gear. Then that drives the use of appropriate clutch cover. With oil filter cover and oil cooler taps.

Whole NICE110 top end not going to be used. No point in getting a stock head and cylinder for a modified engine. So a 57mm bore cylinder with a NICE length will be sourced for my build and the Takegawa DOHC will sit on top.

So in the end for my build not much NICE will be left. Trans, clutch, cases that's about it.

The base information here will be an exercise in understanding the cost of building a NICE110 from parts in the USA. Then seeing the jumping off point for modified versions.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
What is the main reasoning for the build? Is it longevity? Power? To satisfy creative urge? The biggest appeals of the Nice110 engine is the stone reliability and smooth shifting. An engine that can be abused for 30000 miles and still keep ticking. Any deviation from the standard begins to move away from the point of the engine in the first place. My Nice 176cc ate through a pair of Takegawa roller rockers in 2500 miles. TRP dynos show that using their modified Nice head costs about 2/3 the price, but only loses about 1hp...and will be bullet proof...that's the one regret I have about building that motor is not using the modified honda product over the takegawa.

The honda nice (or 1991-94 CT70 or street legal japanese monkies) are the best sources for ignitions...again, honda quality there. A few other things...the Nice clutch basket is an entirely different animal from the TRX90 basket...sure, they are almost directly interchangable, but the Nice basket is on another level. It is both rubber dampened and spring loaded like a big bike basket, whereas the trx only has the pucks. Not an issue until you start putting 15+hp tunes to it. Also, i had considered cheaper alternatives on the crank...I'd choose to pay the money to buy the TRP 62 or 66 crank (I have one of each) over the daytona crank. Under no circumstance should you use an offset pin.

And I also think this is where the Daytona TREX cases have an advantage. You can buy chinese midblock cylinders in 57mm all day long and can buy a chinese midblock pattern takegawa superhead +R or 4V+R. The Nice cylinders in 57mm+ are custom sleeved and offset bores which mean that you'll likely need to source them, and the gaskets, and have your cases offset bored from TRP. That's a huge cost and long term liability. The daytona cases don't require any of that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on creative urge and on putting an engine under the Takegawa DOHC I have. My reason for the choice of the NICE is the crankcase space for stroke and the stud spacing matching my Takegawa DOHC head. The trans and clutch are might as well items because they are the best you can get.

See the update I made to post #1 about why a NICE.

About modified oem head vs Takegawa. Agree a modified oem head from a high quality race engine builder is going to outlast the mass produced Takegawa parts. Another way to go is buy the mass produced Takegawa head and give it the same low volume race engine treatment. Upgraded valve seats, guides, retainers, valves, and springs.

This thread is just to provide information. Make a base list of all OEM parts first. Off of that define what works with what regarding a NICE. Right now it's hard for many to understand why to even care about the NICE.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on NICE110 bottom end cost ~$2300 + shipping + used TRX90. No ignition or ign cover. The $2300 is all new Honda parts. Working on reducing the all Honda cost from Malaysian parts source. After that speccing out the parts list for modified version with 62mm stroke and a clutch cover with oil filter.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished cross referencing the NICE110 with the C100 / ex5 in Malaysia the gear sets and shift drum pages only have 2 parts differences that I saw. A spacer that might be moved to a different page and the countershaft. Going to help a lot on price being able to source from Malaysia. After I cross reference some more on the Malaysian C100 I'll have a better idea on what performance parts will be available and fit as well from Malaysia.

Reactions: kirrbby
1 - 9 of 9 Posts