PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys! I have xr50 thats got some stuff done to it and have always wanted to make it street legal, ,so I can mess around in town and mainly just for the heck of it haha cause why not. It has 88cc big bore kit in it now but its too much for it and over heats in literally 10 mins. I was looking into it and really wanna do it, but do you guys think a honda grom engine would fit in the 50? cause they look like the same frame setup and bolt patterns. If so I wanna run the 5 speed kit in the grom, less drop in the rpms between gears haha, Thanks guys!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bolt pattern on the mounts is different.
Just get a china clone from Tboltusa.com
It'll be easy easier, bolt right in and be much faster.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As said the bolt locations are different. It's also much too heavy for a stock frame as well as too wide on the output shaft. You could space it over but then that will require even heavier fab. I ran a Tak 124 with a5 spd in mine without issue. Just run a cooler.

·
Registered
701 Posts
BTW, if you 88cc bike is overheating in 10 min. then something is wrong. You're probably running it too lean. Ive run a Lifan at WOT for 24 hours straight and even it didn't overheat.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yes it should not be overheating. I run a 92+R all over the streets for long periods of time and I have not come across any overheating issues. What makes you think it's overheating?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can usually run it for about 30min pretty hard before its starts to bogs out and shut off, then it starts smoking from the head haha. I think I might have fried my piston honestly haha. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but It has a 4 speed kit with the clutch and the clutch will start to stick not matter how heavy of a spring I use to hold it down. Its just the stock engine so I don't know if its not meant for that, maybe I should just buy the takegawa engines and do stuff to them since they are meant for it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I can usually run it for about 30min pretty hard before its starts to bogs out and shut off, then it starts smoking from the head haha. I think I might have fried my piston honestly haha. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but It has a 4 speed kit with the clutch and the clutch will start to stick not matter how heavy of a spring I use to hold it down. Its just the stock engine so I don't know if its not meant for that, maybe I should just buy the takegawa engines and do stuff to them since they are meant for it.

Your jetting is probably lean. A Takegawa engine (or any engine for that matter) will do the same if you run it lean.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Buy a oil thermometer dipstick and monitor your oil temps.

What 88kit are you running?
Only bigbore for stock head, with bigbore head, 300% oil pump, oil cooler, what carb are you running...

If tuned correctly it should run wot all day (at least until your tank ia empty)

And if you wannt power, stuff anything from a 140 till a daytona 190 in it.
Even a yx125HO runs circles around a stock msx.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Grom also is fuel injected I think...electronic ignition... From what I understand, it would be a MAJOR undertaking to get a Grom engine running properly in a old minibike.

·
Vendor
3,643 Posts
Pitster Pro has plenty of 190cc five speed e start motors in stock!! We will match or beat anyone’s price!! Www.pitsterpro.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts