PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i had a feeling she was gonna tip the scales for trying to be a race bike......power to weight is key in any type of racing and that thing is a heffer lol i still would like one for killing the streets but a mini dirt bike is such a lighter start than the grom

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm kinda thinking there'd be a spec class for it, but if you bounce that battery, battery box, lighting, rear fender, mirrors, etc... you'd be within a few pounds of a KLX110 I'd imagine. I'd think it would have to smoke a KLX110 b/c that 110 only has about 7 horses. I'm thinking this bike should have at least 10, plus fuel injection. I have several 110's, and it has ground clearance issues, among other problems that would hold it back as a road racer IMO.

I have a feeling this bike is going to be a huge hit as Honda got the price right on it. The aftermarket will love this thing! --L*64
The grom in factory form is more suitable for street cruising than racing. power has been pushed down low in the rpm. the engine has potential to make good power but will not do so as cheaply as the klx 110. I no longer show numbers on my dyno graphs due to it always turns into a headache/pissing match over max HP values. with that said and for what its worth here is a graph of a grom in 100% factory form.
im on campus right now so I cant over lap a known engine for comparison. when I get home tonight i'll overlap a known engine for comparison. also when I do I unfortunately no longer have any klx dyno graphs. On the dyno I use the stock crf110 made very similar max hp as that of a stock klx the difference between them is when it makes that power. the crf110 has a curve similar to that of this grom where as the klx 110 is higher in the rpm range.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Did you happen to get a base line in stock form, curious to know % gain with exhaust.
No, the dyno trailer was at an event I was attending and I dynoed the Grom on a whim. I would think your baseline of a stock Grom should be fairly typical, no? What was the peak HP of the one you tested?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I wasn't even really talking about the engine power. Just the way the chassis felt didn't seem at all condusive to racing. I had high hopes for this bike, but I guess I'll stick to NSR50's and NSF100's. Somebody like OVER racing needs to build a tube road race chassis that would hold this engine. --L*64

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thing seems to have a hella smooth curve. I feel like a cam and a little compression would have went along way when I rode one. It had no hit, revved pretty slow which I understand it's for the road not a race bike. It could be a blast with a few people ripping on them

·
Registered
975 Posts
nobody said it couldnt be used as one...

CountTeam NameRace #Team MembersClassBikeCharityPit #Grid #TranponderComplete
1Size Doesn't Matter741Brenton Andreini, Eran Maor, Aaron Debely, Anthony Hamilton, Preston Andreini, Del Andreini, Noel Juarez, Sergio Capozzi50 StockYSR50Riders for Health (through reg) (#11)
2RNL Team '1357Tomo Umeda, Jay Yanagihara, Nick Tanabe, Mayami Oyanagi, Shuzo Itakura, Hitoshi Yanagisawa100XR100 Healthy Food for Kids (#12)
3SBALB99Niccole Cox, Peter Esquivel, Patryk Buchcik, Jason Aguilar, Andrew Yzabal, Scott Holden100
TTR125
American Cancer Society (#8)
4Short Bus19Andy Kenefick, Tania Davidson, Sergio Rodriguez, Harold Barnes, Javelin Broderick, Chris Page50 StockNSR50Riders for Health - NFG (#1)
5Liberty Cycle Gear32Peter Kimmanee, Ichiro Horiba, Gabriel Rodriguez, Ayumu Nakanishi, Matt Doyle, Don Williams, David Collins100TTR 125San Diego Canoe Kayak Team (#5)
6Team eXR213Brian Heess, Mark Watts, Jim Dobson, Joshua Tootell, Willard Ivins, Emil Ovrid, Jason Dave, Jorge Artola100 XR100Farm Sanctuary (#4)
7Wolf Pack27Giancarlo Guevara, Dean Mallory, Chase Spitzer, Ryan O'Neill, Carlos Verdenelli, Joseph Wheeler, Garrett Vandrielen, Kyle Brown, Mike Pond50 StockNSR50RRW Action (#2)
8GROM TASTIC12Roderic Saito, Annette Carrion
Dan Trotti,Kevin Hipp
Masaki Tsuji,Jason Perez
Tony Nolley, Young Lee
100GROMRiders for Health (#6)
9SBK Paint113David Tovar, Marcelino Soto, Ted Schroeder, Mark Sipperley, Cheyenne Covarrubias, Victor Covarrubias, Joshua Alexander50 StockNSR50Riders for Health - NFG (#3)
10Moto Tecnica 75Kuni Matsudaira, Tom Kubota, Borja Izaguirre, Polo Medina100CRF100American Cancer Society (#10)
11 JSK Tianshan Racing999Mike Shyu, Danny Chao, Ben Wang, Samuel Kao, Guan Mei, Yun Peng Li, Bernan Hsui, David Hslung, Yih Lee, Llunor Deavila50 STock NSR50 Riders for Health (through reg) (7)
12 Hollywood Electrics 777Jeff Clark, Jeremiah Johnson, Troy Siahaan, Aaron Guigar, Brian Randleman, Wes Siler, Adey Bennett, Aaron Wilson 150 ZERO
Riders for Health (through reg)
(#9)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts