PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I'd enjoy it-- I probably won't ride a Grom on the street b/c I stay off of street bikes in general, and I could see the Grom not being seen by other drivers. You remember what happened with NSR John in New York. Not to mention that I'd surely get arrested for the way I'd ride it!

BUT!! That doesn't mean I want to miss out on all the fun. I was thinking that I could race the bike in the mini road races. I'd like to hear from somebody who's already doing this, and see what mods have been done to the bike. --L*64

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kinda thinking there'd be a spec class for it, but if you bounce that battery, battery box, lighting, rear fender, mirrors, etc... you'd be within a few pounds of a KLX110 I'd imagine. I'd think it would have to smoke a KLX110 b/c that 110 only has about 7 horses. I'm thinking this bike should have at least 10, plus fuel injection. I have several 110's, and it has ground clearance issues, among other problems that would hold it back as a road racer IMO.

I have a feeling this bike is going to be a huge hit as Honda got the price right on it. The aftermarket will love this thing! --L*64

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm kinda thinking there'd be a spec class for it, but if you bounce that battery, battery box, lighting, rear fender, mirrors, etc... you'd be within a few pounds of a KLX110 I'd imagine. I'd think it would have to smoke a KLX110 b/c that 110 only has about 7 horses. I'm thinking this bike should have at least 10, plus fuel injection. I have several 110's, and it has ground clearance issues, among other problems that would hold it back as a road racer IMO.

I have a feeling this bike is going to be a huge hit as Honda got the price right on it. The aftermarket will love this thing! --L*64
a stock height klx does have ground clearance issues, I scraped the crap out of the peg all the time but after a kx frontend swap with a +2 swingarm and 275mm shock I havent had the issue since.. you sure you can dump the battery since its fuel injected.. even big bike racers have batteries, maybe replace it with a ballistic or something similiar

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot about that. I dunno if the FI requires the battery or not, now that ya mention it. I have a KX65 sitting around with a spare set of wheels I could lace up to them. I like this Grom alot though-- so I'd kinda rather work with it. I guess time will tell. If we put together a spec class for it-- that would be the easiest way to go. --L*64

·
Registered
360 Posts
I dont believe the fuel injected MX bikes require a battery. I am very interested in how well the fuel injection works and how tuneable it may be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm pretty sure the efi on the msx requires a battery, but if you are worried about weight all you need to do is replace the stock battery with a shorai battery which is probably a quarter the weight of the original. I have one in one of my 12v z50s

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
^ dude... There are 6 different styles of ignition. Done need batt, some don't.

You show how much you know when you say "well that bike over there is like this... So they must ALL be like that!"

LOL!!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I forgot about that. I dunno if the FI requires the battery or not, now that ya mention it. I have a KX65 sitting around with a spare set of wheels I could lace up to them. I like this Grom alot though-- so I'd kinda rather work with it. I guess time will tell. If we put together a spec class for it-- that would be the easiest way to go. --L*64
dont get me wrong, I would love to have a grom! the cool factor itself would be awesome, but the cost of the bike plus mods you could build a super badass klx or crf

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could build a 50 or 110, but if you were talking a new 110-- ($2K I think?) you wouldn't get it hooked up with cast wheels, disc brakes, and inverted forks for another $900. Then add fuel injection.... Then try and get an On Road title for it.... IMO-- Honda must have learned from trying to sell $4999 NSF100's, and $3999 NSR50's here. Price is definitely a big factor. I think they're going to sell a whole bunch of $2999 Groms. I hope they do b/c that will mean a whole bunch of hardly used Groms to buy for $1800! haha! --L*64

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
^ 100% agreed... But still I can't wait for nuth'en! Imma have one the day my my dealer gets them in.
And my plan is to get 2 if them. Keep one stock-ish (with just big bore on motor mods) and the second bike I'm Envisioning a cross between the Grom itself an old-school café racer. I wish I could post a picture of what I'm thinking of but I've never seen one before. It'll be a slightly fabricate build little Jesse James action but what I see in my head looksso badass. I can't wait to build it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, total dilemma! Do I buy it tax and license in CA, lowest I found was $3800 otd, or wait a while and save $. In LA, the largest Honda dealer around could only get two and the stores have 5 deposits on them already and are planning on basically selling them to the highest bidder and/or augmenting the freight and set up fees. California doesn't let you bring in bikes from other states unless they have 7,500 or 8,500 miles on them, so it may be a while before they drop to a price where money is saved.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It should be an ideal spec class bike and pretty darn cheap for a road racer. Hopefully enough people will pick them up to get some good racing started.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I rode a Grom this weekend, not hard, but just a quick, easy ride. Well....

I'd hate to say it, but I could see riding it as a street bike, not a racer at all in stock form. Here's what I think it would need:
-Lowered. The bike feels too top heavy to be a road racer. It needs dropped a coupla inches somehow.
-I'd fab up a wider steering stop, and have it welded in place of the stock one. This way you would limit the turning radius. Thus you could run really low bars, and they wouldn't hit the body before the steering stop.
-Rearsets with a set back riding position, In stock form, the Grom feels like a scooter.
-A lighter composite tail section. The stock setup is big, heavy, and cushy. Like a couch.
-13 inch wheels with sticky tires.

If you did these mods-- you might have something. Until then-- I don't see the bike as a racer. Just my opinion. --L*64

1 - 20 of 33 Posts