PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a Honda 70 hillclimber, and plan to return it to stock condition for my boys. Just want to see if f there is any demand for the bike as it is before I start undoing all the modifications to this bike.

I am located in Denver Colorado and would appreciate any advise as to locating hill climbing community, or where to post this bike.
IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
That swingarm is definitely a hack job. And even in stock form the bike does not have much demand at all. Just average Chinese bike. But you can still fix it up for your boys. I would throw a SSR or other chinese brand swingarm on it and get rid of that ridiculous swingarm. Unless of course you plan to actually hillclimb.

No rear brakes is pretty sketchy

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
That's not a genuine OEM Honda frame or forks, that frame is extended, the gas tank sits further back from the neck, and there is a rear master cylinder bracket, Honda used drum brakes front and rear on the 70. The engine may be a genuine Honda 70, depending upon the engine VIN, located under the front sprocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not a genuine OEM Honda frame or forks, that frame is extended, the gas tank sits further back from the neck, and there is a rear master cylinder bracket, Honda used drum brakes front and rear on the 70. The engine may be a genuine Honda 70, depending upon the engine VIN, located under the front sprocket.
[/Q

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you every one for your input, here are some more pictures of the engine including the engine vin and other markings on the cylinder. The cover says HONDA I hope the engine is a Honda, I appreciate your help if figuring out what I have here.
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
The engine VIN indicates that it is an '00-03 XR50 engine, and your pics show a BBR cylinder, probably an 88cc kit. The head appears to be OEM Honda, not sure if it is from a 50 or 70cc engine. The bigger carb would lead me to believe it is a 70 head with bigger valves and intake/exhaust ports than the stock XR50 head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a part number for a SSR or any swingarm that would fit this frame, I would be interested in the shortest swingarm possible

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the engine running and it is a screamer. It seems to0 much for my buys to handle - their first motorbike - is there any way to tone the bike down. Changing tire size, sprockets ....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Got the engine running and it is a screamer. It seems to0 much for my buys to handle - their first motorbike - is there any way to tone the bike down. Changing tire size, sprockets ....
Assuming you are referring to too much torque, you can make longer gearing, but will actually gain top speed but won't be as torquey. You would go down in the back, up in the front.

Tire size will not affect the speed. If changing gearing doesn't tone it down enough, just order a stock bore piston and cylinder and replace the bbr 88cc kit that is on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts