PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 XR50 and I weight 200 lbs! What should I do with my rear shock! Don't want to spend $100 on a rear shock! Any shocks anyone knows of for less? How hard is it and how good is it to just replace the rear spring? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Its not bad replacing the rear shock with a HD one, I personally havent heard anything good about them other than its an inexpensive alternative, but to each his own. You stunting? jumping the bike? or what you planning on doing?

every now and then a ishock comes up for like $65-$100, you could go that route if you wanted..

on shocks you kind of get what you pay for though, as far as quality and "feel"

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
if you do replace just the rear stock spring with a HD,

"Underneath the rubber stopper on the shock is a nut.

Take a wrench and hold it, and then stick a screwdriver or drift punch through the eye of the shock at that same end and you can unscrew the eye right off and the spring comes free.

A spring compressor makes the job easier as it removes the tension, but is not necessary."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do some jumping! Mostly riding around the cottage and my house in the fields! Just messing around! Sick of the shock bottoming out when I sit down! Just want something stiffer! Where have u seen the ishock for that cheap

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Robertd said:
I do some jumping! Mostly riding around the cottage and my house in the fields! Just messing around! Sick of the shock bottoming out when I sit down! Just want something stiffer! Where have u seen the ishock for that cheap

just keep watching the classifieds section here. Every now and then really good deals come up.. or like I said you could save up and buy something a little better..works, newer ishock, elka, fox float..:D

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
sandman0407 said:
by a still rear spring on fast50s.com..im 220 and never bottom out.. cheap too
yeah but then your backend turns into a pogo stick because the shock is not designed to put an adult on it and you end up with a stiff spring and no dampening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts