PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today is christmas eve and we are opening our presents eairly b/c my sister is going to florida. So of course me being 14 and all i open the biggest and heveyist present. It was a full blown 88 big bore kit oil pump rev box and all. For starters i have know idea really how to start it. So could some body give me some directions on where to start!! I think i have to start w/ the high volume oil pump. Also does anyone have any tips!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey man, you have some work ahead of you. to do the pump you have to remove the clutch cover and the clutch assembly, use a #3 phillips head driver on the three large screws and then tap with a soft face hammer like you were going to turn the pump, then wiggle the old pump upward and off. this something that i do, i take a small amount of grease and put in the gears of the new pump, this will help in the initial start up. align the pump with the shaft. the new shaft is a male end and the old ct's were female. new gasket and button it up.

as for the top end, start with the four bolts on the top, the side bolt that goes through the engine and holds the round cam cover. the two bolts on the left side of the head and the cylinder, you can use a 10mm wrench or a #3 phillips. turn the engine over till the dot on the cam lines up with the notch in the head and the T is at the top of the flywheel, try not the roll the motor over from here on. then take a 9mm and use an impact and remove the three bolts that go into the camshaft, run the bolts almost completely out and then take a soft face hammer and tap the ends of the bolts and that will release the gear from the cam, it will fall down once the bolts are taken out. take the soft face hammer and tap down on the end cover and get it to break loose. take it off. now hit the head downward and knock it loose from the cylinder.the head is pinned to the cylinder so just go easy. pull the head up off of the studs and help the cam gear and chain out the bottom. theres a bolt going into the side of the cylinder take it out and the wheel that keeps the chain from touching. smack the cylinder which is also pinned, and pull the cylinder off trying to hold the piston from moving. remove ALL the gaskets. remove the C clips inside the bore of the wrist pin and push the pin out from the other side and the piston will be in your hand. put the new piston on the same way you took the old one off USE ASSMEBLY LUBE , put your base gasket and rubber O ring on, compress the rings and slide it into the cylinder. well lubricate the rings and skirt of the piston, fish the chain up through and install wheel don't forget that aluminim washer. install the bolt with the phillips into the block, that will help hold it just snug it.wipe the oil off of the cylinder before installing the head, be clean.some install the head gasket dry and some put some copper spray. put the head gasket on and O ring. the piston should be at top dead. put the cam gear into the chain, fish it all up into the head, you want the dot on the gear to be facing forward ready to be lined up with the notch in the head, now stick a screw driver through the gear and through the cam to hold the assembly, put the end cover on and put the copper washer on the lower stud, clutch side. snug your four NEW none acorn nuts down in a criss cross pattern. put your bolt in with the phillips head. the cam will move a little to help with alignment, the cam chain will be fighting you so you will have to pull on the cam to get it stretch over the counterturn on the cam. with the piston at top and the cam gear dot aligned to the notch put your bolts into the cam. Okay, get the correct torque settings and tighten everything up , don't use silicon on your gaskets, if you use anything use a gasket sealer in a can. might have left out something, have any questions [email protected] later dude, Merry Christmas

·
Registered
121 Posts
One more thing "TAKE YOU TIME" and do not rush anything. All ways doublr check when you are putting everything back together. Also before you take anything off get a mental image in your head of what it all looks like and if you have a camera take a bunch of pictures. It will help you when you put it all back together. Good luck man!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Those flat faced phillips screws hold on that cover, there is a nut underneath it. I usually have to use an impact driver to get those off.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yeah you can use an impact wrench, thats how i did it, but a lot of people say use the clutch tool, forget it you can get away with the impact wrench im sure

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is this where i drill for the high volume oil pump? How far do i drill? and can i drill the hole before i take off the oil pump?:confused::confused:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts