PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 50 is turning into a slow P.O.S.

About a year and a half ago I installed a TB 85 kit w/cam and carb, no oil pump or clutch springs though. In just the last month my 50 is getting way slow. it sounds and runs good, it's just really slow now on the top and bottom rpm ranges. valves are adjusted. i haven't checked compression yet. I've never had any serious dust get through my airfilter. the only thing I can think of that is different now is sometimes the little black box thing that used to be connected to the stock air filter (i think) blows out some smoke. the engine has a little clicking noise, but it's always done that.

oh, another thing...I tried adjusting my clutch the other day. If the clutch is too loose the bike should creep forward when you have it in gear right? or if it's too tight it'll rev up before it goes forward. I couldnt' make it so my bike would creep forward. help!

Is my clutch a gonner? what's with the smoke coming out of the breather thing? any ideas?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
is it a bad thing your bike wants to move when its in gear? mine does it :lol:

hows your oil level? did you change your oil recently? did you install the kit? what does your spark plug look like?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies,

What are the chances of my rings turning? (i've never heard of it)

Has anyone replaced their clutch plates before?

I figure a year and a half on the stock clutch isn't a good thing, but I'm not sure if installing stiff clutch springs would do anything if my clutch is fried.

Oh yeah, wouldn't my bike smoke like a biznatch if my rings were aligned?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
so did you install it or not?

clutch spings will help any bike, its needed with a bore kit though. i dont think your plates are gone yet, probobly glazed over. your topend is most likely not the problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i did the install. My problems started as soon as a friend and I put the same kit in his 04. (mines an 03) His will KILL mine, absolutely blow it out of the water. So now he has the exact same setup as me and mine is a roach. :oops: actually the only difference is my intake is for a ported head (my head isn't ported) and his intake tapers down to match the stock head, and his is an 88. I figured it's time to figure out what is now "worn out" on my bike in the past year....and i'm not sure where to start.

-valve specs are good

-jetting is right (it runs and sounds good)

I should check the compression. anyone know what kind of compression I should get with a TB 85 kit?

RECAP: so i'm hopin' my buddies bike is so much faster than mine just because his clutch is brand new. whaddya think?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Might be. I installed a HD clutch kit with new plates and it was a night and day difference. Shifting is very positive after the kit is installed. Either way, couldn't hurt it :wink:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
if i was you i would do a complete rebuild, just to make sure you didnt snap the circlip on your wristpin. happened on my stock cylnder, it ran great but there was no compression(due to the HUGE scores :lol: )

do you have a H.V. oil pump? thats a good thing to get if you put clutch springs in it(which you MOST definetly should)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys,

clutch plates and springs are on their way. I'm gonna do the clutch first, if that doesn't fix it I'm gonna swap the 85 for an 88 since I've got 2 TB kits sittin' at my house waiting to be sold...Hopefully the clutch is the ticket though. I'm gonna send my bike to Extreme Makeover. :lol: I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tore my bike down last night and found out the top ring on my piston was broken in half! it was still in the groove and everything so i dunno what happened. I put in the 88 and clutch springs/plates. I haven't ridden it much, but it's so hard to shift! My exhaust valve wasn't seating all that well either and my intake was getting a little warn. I just tore the head apart and cleaned everything up. Anyone else ever broke a ring?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Remember guys when you install cluch springs that is cool but when you reinstall the cluch unit make sure your acuater arm is on the right postion this the arm that comes off the shift shaft it runs against the butterfly unit ( the one that has the 3 ball bearings) this is what makes your clutch act like a manaul when you hold up your shift lever if the acuater arm is not positioned correctly your tranny will shift very hard and you will not be able to adjust your clutch properly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No broken rings ever?

I put in springs and plates in mine, but the plates weren't worn. My bike doesn't shift hard, it's just hard to shift! normal?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
of course! :p ehhh....actually i've been oiling the k&n style filter the best I can. there was no cylinder scratches at all though. I was hopin' for a "it's a 4-stroke thing" instead of me not taking care of it. oh well. Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.