PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I usually build CT70s but I got a 1979 Honda XR80 recently in a trade. Super fun little bike for the trails but I'm 5'11" and I'd like to put a new, taller suspension on it. Any idea what other Honda (or after market) taller front ends will bolt up to this bike? Is it as easy as putting an XR100 front end on it? What about swingarms and longer shocks? Any suggestions are welcome. I'm just looking to get a couple of inches on the seat height. Thanks!

·
Registered
823 Posts
XR100 swing arm adds 2" of length, bolt on some 330mm shocks and you've added 1" or so to seat height. Get the axle, swing arm bolt and spacers.

CT90/110 front wheel is 17", will add 1/2" in height and improve tire selection significantly (all the good rubber for CR80Rs etc), bolts right on (reuse XR80 brake plate).

Late model front ends slide right in to the steering neck (XR80R and 100R are the same). You can install a set of BBR's springs to stiffen up the front for reasonable money.

Adding mid height CR80R bars will improve handling immediately, and eliminate the tractor like feel of the front end.

Adding any 'more' height than this complicates things greatly (chain interference with swing arm), alters already weak frame geometry.

One last thing to consider with a 'big guy' on a upright XR 75-100cc, you NEED a frame brace (ties the down tube to the frame at the lower engine mount). Keeps the bike from flexing so hard, greatly improves handling.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Late model XR100 ('80 to 84) is the best choice for adding height as the shock mounts are further forward. Earlier (77 and up) XL100 had the shocks in a 'laid down' configuration, with the lower mount closer to the axle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts