PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased what was listed as a Honda XL 70 tank on ebay but it clearly isn't. As far as I can tell, it's a 1978 XR 75 tank. The front perches of the tank position it nicely to the steering head of the frame but the tail end is longer. I believe the overall length of the fuel cell is the same. The tail itself has two one-inch welds holding to a plate in between it and the fuel cell.

I could easily grind out the two welds and get it to match the length of the SL70 tank that it'll be replacing but I thought I'd check in here to make sure I wasn't cutting up something precious and committing sacrilege. I once indicated on a Van Tech site my intent to move the shock perches forward on a nice frame and got called some ugly things.

Fuel tank Red Fender Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
44 Posts
This is what the early XR-Xl looks like. Short. That is what I have on my Sl. A friend has a 77 XR. His is lone
I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should check the model numbers, K4 is 1977, K5 is 1978, these have the longer tongue at the back of the tank, the photo you posted is for a 1974 K1, 1975 K2, or 1976 K3. The only other XR75 tank is from a K0 which is similar to an SL70 tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.