PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just picked up an 03 xr50, all stock. I really want and need the heavier springs, but I was wondering how hard the front and rear springs are too instal? I know Ill need spring compresor for the rear, but how do you change the fork springs? and, I am thinking about getting a BBR or white brothers R4 pipe later on, which one will be best for me if I want good all round power, but I need it to be farely quiet, or have a quick changing insert? thanks, later

ryan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought BBR springs for my 50, I love them. They ride really nice. They arent super bouncy unless your on really rough ground, then they will bouncy a little. I installed both my front and rear by myself. An extra hand would have been nice, but its possible to do on your own.

I used the installation instructions from Two Bros site. They are in are in PDF format and have good pictures to help. You may want to get new bushings for the forks while your at it, just to be on the safe side. I didnt, but wonder if I should have.

The two most important things to remember when installing your springs are:

• 1- Make sure you dont tighten the springs down to far on the little cast aluminum pieces, if you do you wont be able to get the springs back into the fork tubes without grinding a small portion of the spring off.

2- At the top cast iron piece attached to the fork springs there are tabs. Those have to go in a certain way (cant remember if it was facing in or facing out right now.) Pay attention to how you took them out, and use them as a guide when you are making sure your fork legs are in straight.

As for the exhaust you can put the stock endcap on the BBR when your riding around your house to keep the noise down. They say it sounds like stock when you put the stock endcap on the BBR.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I jumped pretty big(30 ft.) on my 50 that i just sold with stock frame, +1's and HD springs and bushings and i shock and my frame never bent. I had the bike for like 2 years and never bent it, cracked the motor mount twice but never bent the frame. I only wiegh 120 lbs, if your good at being smooth like using bmx style or don't thrash it you won't have a problem

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I would go with RC's progressive rate fork springs becuase they aren't as stiff as the other two, but if you only picking from those two then I would go with the fast 50s since they are virtually the same

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most springs arent the same. Make sure you know how much stiffer they are. The stiffer the spring the rougher the ride. Im about 180lbs and my BBR feel pretty good. They are about 60% stiffer then stock. If you arent sure what the stiffness is, check with the dealer or manufacturer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.