PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is starting to feel pretty crappy. I want to upgrade to a heavy duty kit, but Im not sure which way I want to go.

Holeshot Motorsports sells an Atomic 50s CRF 50 / XR 50 Heavy Duty Clutch Kit with Gasket for about $47.00, or Classic honda sells a full HD clutch kit that comes with pretty much everything for $155. Anyone know of any advantages or disadvantages between the two? Any other suggestions for a better feeling clutch, and transmission?

I dont have a BBK YET, it will probably happen this winter. Right now its a completely stock motor.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Since its stock just go with some new plates and springs. Then when you get your BigBore go for a TrailBikes manual, they are lots of fun and make for some serious out of corner speed and holeshots.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would I want to buy stock stuff now, then go back this winter and replace the rest of the stuff. I weigh 180 lbs. I doubt the stock clutch was designed to pull my big butt around at full throttle anyhow. Why not just put a HD kit in it and be done with it?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Well, I ment get heavy duty plates and springs. I just think for the $155 that the Classic Honda clutch is you can get a much sweeter manual clutch. I was just saying tht the HD Springs and new plates could hold you over till then. But if you dont wont to go manual the stock clutch with the HeavyDuty springs and Kevlar plates will hold up just fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I think you misunderstood me, and I didnt thoroughly read your post.. The $155 kit isnt the manual kit. Its a whole HD auto kit that replaces the stock unit, as opposed to using the stock parts and just replacing the springs and plates.

I know what you mean about the manual kit on the stock motor, I actually prefer the auto clutch for some reason. Probably because Im LAZY! :lol:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yeah, I know the Classic Honda was a whole new unit. Its sweet but I dont think you need it unless you are going to be running a 110 or something and plan on staying auto clutch. If your just going to be going with a 88 setup the stock clutch with HD Springs and Plates will work perfectly.

·
1,973 Posts
the Horstman clutch is unbelievable. A bit costly... but holy crapoly... this thing chirps the tires in every gear on my stocker and they are running them on everything up to 124cc right now!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
breakinspokes said:
the Horstman clutch is unbelievable. A bit costly... but holy crapoly... this thing chirps the tires in every gear on my stocker and they are running them on everything up to 124cc right now!

Yeah, who carries that thing? Ive never heard of it.

edit: I found the Horstmanclutches.com website, but I couldnt really find which works with an XR50.

·
1,973 Posts
Here is some info from their website.

Horstman's new generation of disc clutches engineered for today's high performance 4 stroke engines

Outstanding Features:

3 1/4” diameter for lower rotational inertia

2 Disc 6 spring style with Horstman’s innovative external adjustability feature

Cooling vanes to extract unwanted heat

Over 15% increase in friction surface … better grip and heat sink

Lightweight aluminum drum with replaceable clips …Optional Steel Drum available

Removable Sprockets from 11T to 23T with square lug drive eliminates retaining ring

Thicker plates CNC machined from billet for greater rigidity to provide positive lock up

Cryogenic treatment of components run cooler ….last up to 300% longer

New drive lug shape for smoother engagement … keyway is thicker for longevity

Plates attached with ¼ screws for rigidity and easy removal during maintenance

Fits ¾” crankshaft or jackshaft for 5-20 hp

I can get you more info.. PM me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'd say to just go with the springs and plates or just springs if you're plates still look good. Just piece it outta parts from here http://www.dratv.com/engineparts2.html . It adds up to about 25 bucks if you want plates+springs, and 10 without plates. Its basically the same thing as the atomic 50's kit. After installing stiffer springs you will notice that its harder to shift the bike, but thats normal. I got lucky with my gasket and just reused it. :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, I know my clutch is about toasted. It will roll alittle in gear and it feels really sloppy compared to my friends new CRF50. Its a fairly easy and cheap fix to improve the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.