PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current tire im running is Kenda K761 120/90

Im not a fan of them AT ALL!! even though ive only put 30km on them since i bought them new!!!

they are just too damn big!! i think anyway.. since this is going to be a street machine what do i have for tire options????

i would prefer something with a lower profile if at all possible..

Im using a stock 1980 ct70 rim on front and back.. so it must fit a stock 2 half rim..

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HymieP said:
Heidenau K61, super sticky and absolutely love them.

im trying to find the info now.. but what are my limits on tire size for stock rim..

IE:110/90 etc.. does that mean the tire has a smaller wall??? overall diameter???

im usually really good with this stuff but i just cant seem to focus on it today...

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
On a sock CT70 rim, I'd run Heidenau K61's in a 110/80/10 size.

90 series sidewalls are too tall.

The middle number is a % of the first number.

110 wide, sidewall 80% of the 110 or 88, in the 10" size.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so i was right in saying to my self that 90 is too big of a wall

ok cool so now what about gearing..

90cc piranha.. stock sprockets front and back.. 4spd tranny with a terrible first gear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3cyltrbo said:
I've got Pirelli SL38's on mine 120/70/10 (if I remember)

seems like a great tire so far (obv Pirelli knows how to make a tire)

readily available through major retailers / Ebay / online scooter places etc....

Check my thread for pics

Recommend them!!!

http://planetminis.com/f14/sunday-afternoon-beginning-my-ct-mods-157283.html

Will

I kinda like how that looks... Definitely the lower profile of the side...

Thanks for that.. if they are indeed 120/70/10 that is the look i like...

Plus i can reduce rolling mass...

You wouldnt happen to have a close side shot would you???

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
120/70/10's should be mounted in a 3.5" wide wheel, not a 2.75" wide CT70 stock wheel. That's too wide for the wheel. They will fit, but won't be optimal.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Z said:
120/70/10's should be mounted in a 3.5" wide wheel, not a 2.75" wide CT70 stock wheel. That's too wide for the wheel. They will fit, but won't be optimal.

Ummm?

What is this based on?

I appreciate that all tires have an optimal range of wheel width, but I think this size tire is well within spec mounted on these rims.

Granted you don't want to compromise the sidewall with an extreme wide rim or narrow rim, but I can tell you from experience (having mounted this tire on a CT rim) that the bead and sidewall aren't compromised.

Furthermore, like I've said before.......

These are minibikes, most of which will never go above 60mph (100km/h), and frankly any minor deviance from manufacturers spec (if thats even the case which I don't believe it is), isn't likely to cause any issue at such low speeds and with such low weight involved (unless the original poster is a

300lb dude who plans on commuting on his bike everyday at speeds over 60mph constant.

·
Registered
645 Posts
soundwav said:
I kinda like how that looks... Definitely the lower profile of the side...

Thanks for that.. if they are indeed 120/70/10 that is the look i like...

Plus i can reduce rolling mass...

You wouldnt happen to have a close side shot would you???

They are indeed 120/70/10 (I zoomed into the high-res original pics)

Here are some pics, not sure if this is what you're looking for

BTW, try Ebay and some of the scooter supply places - tons of tires in similar sizes / tread patterns / etc..... pretty much every combination of width and profile is available.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3cyltrbo said:
300lb dude who plans on commuting on his bike everyday at speeds over 60mph constant.

UMMMM current weight 240 Height 6"

commuting Next yr yes... about 8km to work.. city speed limits 50km for the roads that will be used.. alot of straights...

·
Registered
645 Posts
soundwav said:
UMMMM current weight 240 Height 6"

commuting Next yr yes... about 8km to work.. city speed limits 50km for the roads that will be used.. alot of straights...

oh :eek:

okay I guess you'll stress a tire a little more than my 165 and 5'9"

personally I don't think you'd be unsafe doing 35mph (50km/h) for 8km (5miles) twice daily on this size tire mounted on a CT wheel.

but thats only my opinion

Will

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
On a Honda (Not a knockoff), a 120/70 will also come within a mm of rubbing on the chain in the rear. Some will have chain rub. It all depends on the manufacturing tolerance of each specific bike and if the swingarm is true with good bushings. Some will have fitment problems between the front fork legs depending on the forks used.

I'm going to by experience and what "I" consider safe.

My minis go 70+mph, and I don't want a tire all sucked in at the sidewall. 120/70's are made for 3.5" rims.

People can sure run them on a stock CT70 rim, however, I will not. It's a matter of personal preference. The widest tire I would run on a stock rim is a 110/80. Just my opinion and preference. Others opinions may and obviously will differ here.

The bottom line is weigh everyone's opinion and build a bike they way you want to build it based upon the information gathered and your budget.

Summary: Run what you brung. :p

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I have a set of Michelin Bopper 120/90-10 on a set of stock rims on my CT70 with the GPX177v2 motor in it. I have taken it to speeds in excess of 80mph and is used to cruise at 55-60mph for long clips. I personally would not run any other tire on this particular bike based on the weight of the bike and its accessories, the luggage, extra gas, and rider (I also ride it two up on occasion). For me, this size tire has provided everything I need...great cornering so I can drag my pegs, low rolling resistance, and just a nice ride.

However...that bike is specifically setup to do that type of riding...9 years of trial and error, I have finally arrived at what I believe to be the optimal setting for me and for that style of riding.

However, on my lowrider, I am running 110/80-10's on 3.5" wide rims...and they are really nice on there.

On my other Nice CT, I run 120/70-10 front and rear on 3.5" wide rims...and they produce, what I believe to be, the best profile of the bunch.

Lastly, I have a china knockoff...it came with 3.5-10's and they were not ideal for the purpose (dual sport). So I put on a set of michelin raggae's at 120/90-10. The tire is way big for the rear china swinger as I had to ad a link to push the tire to the back of the adjuster slot. The chain, as noted by Dan, is really close...it doesn't hit, but very close. The other issue is that the heavy weight of these raggae tires is about twice that of the ones that were on it. This has caused my bike to actually lose speed since the motor can't turn them. I am going to have to drop a sprocket, or do some motor mods to bring the thing back to the level of performance I had before I made the switch. Its only a 50cc motor in this one and its used as a trail hopper and moped.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have a set of 3.50-10 Conti Zippy's on 2.5" rims. Look good. Haven't ridden with them(still working on the safety-hub and disk brake conversion), but I gotta think they roll easier that the tractor treads you have. There's a couple other parts you need to stop over and pick up, any ways;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts