PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal, i heardthat some pplz have been using some kind of turbo kit and it works real well, i have no idea were or if this is availible, at the time when i heard of it i had no $ and figured the turbo would seriously take away from botom power. does any 1 know of or use a turbo or were 2 get 1? and if soo does any1 know if the botom end is affected and how badly. its sounds stupid 2 me but would be nice if it worked well and had no or very little botom end loss. (after all what would a 50 be without the wheelies) well i dont think there is such i thing but if sum 1 knows of a turbo im curious 2 know how it works. -drew

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i know for a fact there are turbos on dual carb 50 motors...i saw it like a year ago on some site...dont remember tho

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
That supercharger is on Jan Harde's bike. He lives in California. However, that bike doesn't run, and the supercharger sucks ass.

Nobody in the world makes a supercharger or turbo kit for the Honda 50-124cc motor. You have to fabricate your own, and there are two turbo bikes people fabricated overseas. One in Japan, one in Germany.

I got specs on the perfect turbo that is small enough to work on these motors, and will post pictures and details in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Erik,

Call up Powerbikes and see if they will sell you a kit. They won't because it's vaporware.

Bobby Rosenfeld designed that supercharger, and the efficiency sucked, and all it was good for was window dressing. For the money you spend on that unit, you can build a faster motor with a 108-124cc off the shelf.

Trust me, I've researched this and it's all vaporware. Jan Harde's supercharger was a leftover of one of Bobby's Prototypes, as he used to sell the CAD drawings on the internet for people to make their own.

I'll post some pictures of the German guy who successfully turbo'd his Z50 and will sell you a complete kit for 2200 Euro, but nobody knows if it's worth a snot.

I'll also post pictures of the smallest turbo known to man, and from my initial research will be perfect for a low compression 108+cc motor. You try to run forced induction on 90% of the off the shelf kits, you'll blow the head right off the studs, detonate, and blow the crank through the cases.

Send me your email address and I'll forward you the turbo pics. I'm trying to get a couple of shops to take on the project, as the turbo is only $600, but the fabrication is going to be a big job to get everything to work correctly.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts

Here's a picture before he got the intake and carb mounted that shows a good picture of the turbo setup. He's using the smallest Garret turbo that is available, and it's for motors above 400cc's and probably won't work with a crap.

However, Mitsubishi makes a turbo that is 7 1/4 inches wide and 4 inches tall that puts out 6-7 lbs of boost and is suited for 108+cc motors. Not made for a 50, but rather a Kubota lawn tractor. Has an internal wastegate and probably could be modified to put out much more boost..

·
1,973 Posts
z88R said:
Erik,

Call up Powerbikes and see if they will sell you a kit. They won't because it's vaporware.

Bobby Rosenfeld designed that supercharger, and the efficiency sucked, and all it was good for was window dressing. For the money you spend on that unit, you can build a faster motor with a 108-124cc off the shelf.

Trust me, I've researched this and it's all vaporware. Jan Harde's supercharger was a leftover of one of Bobby's Prototypes, as he used to sell the CAD drawings on the internet for people to make their own.

I'll post some pictures of the German guy who successfully turbo'd his Z50 and will sell you a complete kit for 2200 Euro, but nobody knows if it's worth a snot.

I'll also post pictures of the smallest turbo known to man, and from my initial research will be perfect for a low compression 108+cc motor. You try to run forced induction on 90% of the off the shelf kits, you'll blow the head right off the studs, detonate, and blow the crank through the cases.

Send me your email address and I'll forward you the turbo pics. I'm trying to get a couple of shops to take on the project, as the turbo is only $600, but the fabrication is going to be a big job to get everything to work correctly.

gotcha. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Send me a PM and I'll set you up for the information. A friend of mine in the UK just picked up the turbo and will have the project finished over the next 9 months. The turbo costs $600 and you'll have to custom fabricate everything. To make this properly work, you'll need a minimum engine displacement of 110cc's, as anything less won't create enough boost and the project will be a lost cause.

The turbo has an adjustible wastegate, can run 6-8lbs of boost, and is air cooled, so you don't have to plum an oil line to keep the turbo cool.

The biggest problem will be getting the carb to properly work, and you'll need a very small intercooler between the turbo and the head, or the turbo and the carb depending on if you want a suck-through or blow-through application.

Needless to say, it's not an easy project, but doable.

Give me a couple of days, as I'm out of town, and all the files are on my home PC.

Dan

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
hey z88r,

i need some clarification on all these terms that got thrown around, vaporware, supercharged, turbocharged, bla bla bla.

but neway, with a few poketfuls of cash that would be a fun(and frustrating)projects.

later,

stanton

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
five0addict said:
hey z88r,

i need some clarification on all these terms that got thrown around, vaporware, supercharged, turbocharged, bla bla bla.

but neway, with a few poketfuls of cash that would be a fun(and frustrating)projects.

later,

stanton

Vaporware = A product that is advertised as available, but in reality, isn't and won't ever be available to the public.

Supercharged and Turbocharged = Forced induction that you will never be able to fabricate or afford on your bike.

Bla, bla, bla = The majority of your technical posts on Planet minis. :evil: Just Kidding!

While I think the turbo could be a fun project, there are better and cheaper ways to make serious power without forced induction, nitrous, or Japanese tuning parts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
While we're on the subject of packing more air into the carb; what do you guys think of mounting some kind of filtered cold air intake from the front of the bike (sucking air from the natural direction the bike is moving) and piping it around to the carb intake? Seems like the bike would breathe a lot better than the how the filter is normally mounted; sucking air from the back.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
462 Posts
velocity101 said:
While we're on the subject of packing more air into the carb; what do you guys think of mounting some kind of filtered cold air intake from the front of the bike (sucking air from the natural direction the bike is moving) and piping it around to the carb intake? Seems like the bike would breathe a lot better than the how the filter is normally mounted; sucking air from the back.

Just a thought...

if u wanna do that, get a small K&N filter and get a PVC elbow that will slide completely over the filter and seal it up, run the pipe up past the front of the head so you draw the coolest air possible, would give a Ram Air effect. just a thought, im VERY tired at the moment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.