PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guys out there. I work for the US Forest Service and am a forest protection officer, and deal a lot with Off highway vehicles.

To sum things up we have had run across quite a few stolen pitbikes. I know most of the engines have an engine #, but which manufactures have frame id#'s or vins and where are they located? And also I have seen the same exact bikes registered at different DMV's some getting red stickers and some getting green, what have you guys run across?

Sikk MX

SSR

Pitster

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
As far as registartion in Cali goes, a lot has to do with the individual DMV office. We have had customers take a bike to one office and get a red sticker only (when they should get green) but, then take it to another DMV office and get the green. Same goes for the red sticker bikes. WE have had customer report taking them to one office and get turned away and then go to anotheroffice and accuire the sticker.

Not all Chinese bikes have VIN's on them, but those that do usually have it on the neck of the frame.

Pitster is CA green sticker approved.

Sikk MX & SSR are red sticker.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
norcalklx said:
now what do you do if you build a bike from the ground up? My redbaron frame has no frame numbers on it. but my gpx motor does.

Generally the DMV is going to go of the VIN from the frame and the MSO/Certificate of Origin for the bike. For a custom built bike you will have to take it to the DMV and see if you can get them to issue a title for it. But, even a title in CA does not insure a Green sticker.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have a question why is riding in a national park on trails destroying of government property? didn't see any signs that said not to ride.. just wondering cus my bro got a ticket for it. we walked the trail a couple days before and it was awesome..

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
bam said:
i have a question why is riding in a national park on trails destroying of government property? didn't see any signs that said not to ride.. just wondering cus my bro got a ticket for it. we walked the trail a couple days before and it was awesome..

This thread could start lots of fights here on PM. WHile I am a long time glamis goer and I've seen it getting smaller and smaller due to blm shutting it down. I imagine it is due to a few people ruining it for the rest of us

I would like to know why as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bam said:

Ok here is what you need to know National Parks are different than National Forests.

Parks are generally conservation based... usually no OHV usage. Meanwhile National Forest are the "land of any uses" meaning there are often OHV areas as long as you stick to the trails and not in an wilderness areas( special designated areas that no motorized vehicles are allowed.)

Next it is the users responsibility to know the laws and regulations in most public areas you can looks these up by a simple google search for national parks at http://www.nps.gov/ ( i don't know of really a national park that has OHV usage) , BLm has some good riding in it http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html and last national forest http://www.fs.fed.us/

I was a glamis head for years 98 yamaha banshee 440 monoblock powervalved ported and polished with cpi pipes .

The last closure that I know of was due to the center for biological diversity's suit where they sued BLM over the peterson milk vetch. A plant in other words. I remember glamis being much bigger when I started riding there and well people didn't stay out of the small off limits area and well that group won the court case and they put a protective area around it .

What happened out here with the forests is the route designation program... well people made their own trails and two groups ended up suing the government , one for unlimited riding and one for no riding...well the judge met in the middle.

If you truly want to keep OHV areas open green sticker (register )your ride the money supports the the areas. Pack it in pack it out .. leave it better than you found it...tread lightly no reason to go ride up a riverbank when there are hundreds of miles of trails... and last join a group like blue ribbon coalitions or checker flags .

An example of what i might see on a day at work a 9 year old on a 4x4 quad without a helmet on a non stickered vehicle the parents are 5 miles away from him driving down a paved road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.