PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shock just came in tonight!

Those of you lucky enough to come equipped with that HRC shock on the NSFs will never know the suffering of riding on the lame excuse for a shock the street-spec NSR50 and 80 came with. My NSR came with a spring on a stick where a rear shock should be. It was suspension only in the fact that it held the *** of the bike up. Cornering was always nervous and stopping sort of a see-saw action. I had the forks shimmed and rebuilt and that went a long way towards improving the ride but the back still sucked. Christmas brought the answer!

Built in Taiwan and sourced through a Japanese company for the goofy American I finally have a real shock. This shock is sold through two companies, Burial added independent height adjustment at $100 less than Shift-up so it was a no-brainer.

In addition to that I have a preload collar on top.

I have compression adjustment on the remote reservoir.

And rebound adjustment at the base of the shaft.

I can't wait to get it installed and set up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup. Sold my 600 and picked up the 50. I thought the smaller bike would be safer because I couldn't do much on it. I'm not sure that's true, I find ways to do bad things.

It is pretty much stock with just a little here, little there. I want to build it up to 100mph capability which will require a bigger motor. Right now I am sinking money into the parts that will have to control that power, suspension and brakes. It will likely be a while before it comes time to beef up the power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About once a month one will zip by but I am always in the truck so I can't catch up to talk to the guy. :sad:

There is some guy around here with a similar looking bike but that thing hauls balls! It must be a hot 80 because I was slack jawed when he rolled off that green light, GONE!

I see more Monkeys and apes then sport bikes on the road. The Japanese guys are always interested when I buzz by or it's parked at the convenience store on a saturday night. Americans really trip out. They all ride 1000 and up, compensating? I get what I call the "plate check" at the light. This is where the two guys are startled when a helmet crosses between them at chest height and they lean back to see if there is a plate on my bike. :p

I need more power though, the cute wears off eventually and my competitive streak starts to come out. A 50-60mph top speed sucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I prefer 2 stroke, simple design that makes good power, I wouldn't add steps. When the motor comes on the pipe it just feels right, like when the turbo in my car kicks in. ;)

A streeted NSF would be fun though. Not ready to pay 3K and still have to add lights and guages and crap.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
if it's a four stroke can't you have the head milled down some and smooth up the ports, that is usually cheap or free and adds a little bit of power it added some power to my 4hp Tecumseh the head mill alone was a 15% power increase but i had 50 thousands taken off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All mounted up. I still have the oil reservoir for the pump and no extra hands so it was fun a root canal but it's done. :fing02:

Here is what I have been riding on. I doubt there is even oil or a piston in there, just a pogo stick.

All in. There is zero space in there so it is hard to see and I sure hope I don't have to dick with the preload, looks like it would be harder than finding the man in the boat!;)

The reservoir straps to the frame. Because I still have all the factory stuff bolted on I couldn't get the second strap on but the one holds very well; quality clamp included in the kit.

I was concerned about the hose orientation between the two components but they obviously assemble it clocked right because after I put it in it showed me how to mount it by the way the hose twisted. The adjustment knob peeks out perfect. I can adjust it on the fly.

It's raining today so I can't go out and mess with the settings but just sitting on the bike I can already notice a difference!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
themadscientist said:

The reservoir straps to the frame. Because I still have all the factory stuff bolted on I couldn't get the second strap on but the one holds very well; quality clamp included in the kit.
good deal. nice functional clamp... wish the ohlins at least came with clamp :roll:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
based on that picture it looks to only have preload adjustment. If money was no object I get the quantum. That is the closest to a naked woman a shock has ever looked to me.:D

Next would be the Ohlins.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Your Ohlins didn't come with the twin billet clamps?

Just kidding.

I really like the look of those Burial shocks. I look forward to a ride report after you get some time with it installed. This segment needs a more affordable shock that handles similar to the Ohlins.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.