PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm restoring some early 80's Z's to be some good old reliable machines for my kids and neighbors to enjoy. Just trying to bring them back to good shape. The pipes I have on a few are either rotted or have holes blown in the sides of them. Can anyone recommend a good tried and true replacement for these Z's. I see the ones on EBay with the chrome guard but I am a little timid to order them until I know it's going to work. I'm sure they would work for the Z's in the 70's. Any input on some good pipe choices would be great. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Got a link to the ones you are looking at?
A local guy was selling a Honda stock z50 exhaust but he wanted $50

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It should operate well as its what came on my clone bike with a 125 engine or looks just like it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone here ever actually bought one of these pipes to put on a Z in the 80's though? I'm wondering if you still need that ceramic collar where it meets the jug. Seems like it has one built in just about

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'm lost, maybe because its early, but what so you mean ceramic collar that meets the jug?

I have this same looking exhaust or It looks like what comes on the skyteam flashback bikes.
Tell me what you need to know about the exhaust and ill help you out.
I also have an 84 z50, if your in no rush and I get a lil time when it's not too cold, wet or windy here, I can try to mock this exhaust up for you so you can see it.
The ones I have, that came on my bikes, have a catalytic converter in them but still my bike went 45mph

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Oh he meant an exhaust gasket?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. The two piece ceramic collar that fits in the jug. I guess they call that a gasket. The end of the pipe that mates up to the jug on the Ebay exhaust looks a little different and almost looks designed to not need the gasket. It looks like a larger piece of pipe that fits into the jug. Anyways, I guess I'll just order one of these things and take it from there. At least Ill know the results after that. I can post any issues or problems with fit up later in the forum. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sorry if you got your answer already but I have bought one of those cheap ebay exhaust for my 84. For the money, they really are not bad. I needed a larger bore exhaust due to my 88cc kit. These can handle up to 125cc. So, everything is larger on them. The header, the chamber, all. Also, because they are meant for larger bore motors (which are a tad longer) they need a little modding to get to fit. I had to extend the mounting hole a bit. Mine came with three shields and I used the two bottom ones. Your stock bottoms won't fit. The stock top won't as well unless you cut and reweld new mounting points. That large shield (like on the 79 z50r) mounts differently then the one that inter grates with the numberplate. On the numberplate, the exhaust is much fatter and a bit taller then stock. I had to space out my numberplate bracket about an inch or so on top and maybe a half inch on the bottom. Have to watch that the bottom of the numberplate doesn't foul the kicker. Also, I had to trim and reweld the top seal-weld of the muffler as it interfered with the numberplate bracket. So, if you didn't mind the 79 look with no numberplate on the right, it's like a 10 minute job with a hacksaw and it should bolt right up. If you want it to look stock....it's a bit longer:) Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exterior Auto part
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender Auto part Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Couper, did yours come with a catalytic converter in it?
Did you remove it if it did come with one?
Also, coup gets good mph out of his setup with that exhaust

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No cat. Wouldn't have bought it if it did.

And yeah. With my TB 88 full kit and this exhaust, I feel I'm getting every single once of power that I can. I can't imagine a different exhaust would give me anything more. Hell, hit 60.3 mph at 10500rpms!!

·
Administrator
10,660 Posts
Yeah. The two piece ceramic collar that fits in the jug. I guess they call that a gasket. The end of the pipe that mates up to the jug on the Ebay exhaust looks a little different and almost looks designed to not need the gasket. It looks like a larger piece of pipe that fits into the jug. Anyways, I guess I'll just order one of these things and take it from there. At least Ill know the results after that. I can post any issues or problems with fit up later in the forum. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.
You're referring to the two-piece steel collars that goes with the OEM pipes, to hold the pipe flange against the exhaust gasket, and butt up to the mounting flange for the exhaust stud nuts.

You wouldn't use those collars with the eBay exhaust, the flange is designed to bolt right up to the exhaust studs.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
How quiet is your exhaust cooper when at idle, cruising and wide open?
Thats a good deal on exhaust for $50 if it can give you that kind of mph.
Copper, Is that the same exhaust you bought from the same people?
I may buy one to keep mine quiet

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
66Cooper Thanks for the detailed run down of that exhaust. Much appreciated. I figured someone on here had to have some insight on those ebay exhausts. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No problem. Glad I could help.

I have no other Z to compare to at the moment but it's not very loud at all. I'm sure it's louder then stock but not annoying or anything.

I was told these are the exhausts that come on most of the rep bikes. Anything 125 and under at least.

Just to be clear, I powder coated mine after I had finished the mods for the shield. The original paint was your typical, BBQ grill black. The bottom two heat shields are decent enough to reuse but the top, large one was pretty hokey.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.