PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1974 a couple of months ago and after driving in the neighborhood for a while I would sure like to make it street legal.

I've googled this extensively and it is hard to get a clear view, as people seems to have succeeded but by using all sorts of tricks that may not work anymore (Delaware, Canada and so on) and the posts are getting very old, and rules vary from state to state.

The biggest problem seems to be if the serial is listed in the DMV database as offroad only or non-highway, which apparently closes the door. But assuming it is not, and I come with a DMV bill of sale form that matches the serial, and I add blinkers, horn and I guess a rear view mirror, is there any reason I shouldn't be able to register it and get a plate?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Buy my CA street legal 72. ?. Took me 3 trips to CHP and 8 trips to DMV.. went through everything from the chps filling our the form wrong to the DMV employee telling me nothing under 250cc can be street legal.. and after all that she just sits in my garage collecting dust..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy my CA street legal 72. ?. Took me 3 trips to CHP and 8 trips to DMV.. went through everything from the chps filling our the form wrong to the DMV employee telling me nothing under 250cc can be street legal.. and after all that she just sits in my garage collecting dust..
Do you have any pics or a price you want for the bike? I have a 1978 frame that i bought with a PA street legal title, but i am unsure of how the CA DMV will react to that. Might be easier to buy one that has already jumped through the hoops.

I had planned on taking the frame down to the DMV to register, but I guess they need a motor mounted to the frame as well. Not sure if they will bomb it out based on it not having any lights, horn, signals, etc. (it's just a frame with an engine bolted to it currently)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do you have any pics or a price you want for the bike? I have a 1978 frame that i bought with a PA street legal title, but i am unsure of how the CA DMV will react to that. Might be easier to buy one that has already jumped through the hoops.

I had planned on taking the frame down to the DMV to register, but I guess they need a motor mounted to the frame as well. Not sure if they will bomb it out based on it not having any lights, horn, signals, etc. (it's just a frame with an engine bolted to it currently)
Looks like my post was removed because i posted a link to my sale thread.

Take your bike to the dmv and try it. Once it gets past them they will send you to the CHP, if it gets past that you will be good to go. Or I will sell you both of my honda's for 3300$. (Need another one so the wife/friends can ride with you)

·
Registered
1983 z50r street, z50 k1 street, frame projects
4 Posts
Im new to using forums, but i may be able to help. I shipped my bike to cali last month while I visited. Chain broke while on the 280. Truck driver had to take a pic because it was the smallest thing he has ever had on his flat bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im new to using forums, but i may be able to help. I shipped my bike to cali last month while I visited. Chain broke while on the 280. Truck driver had to take a pic because it was the smallest thing he has ever had on his flat bed.
I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck, what can you do to help?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts