PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I see a lot of China front forks that go for sale on the forum pretty cheap. Will any of these bolt on to a 1980 Z50. I would like to update mine with some of these newer style billet forks and aluminum triple clamps. What do I need to look for that will be a bolt on upgrade?

Thanks in advance

CC

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys,

I guess I need to ask this question differently. I see some china bike's being parted out that look like CRF/XR 50's that have some really cool front forks. I was just wondering if any of them will work on the older Z50's. I think it would be a cool upgrade if any of them would work without too many modifications.

Thanks in advance

CC

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Any front end that will bolt on a CRF50 will bolt on a softail Z50. The problem comes when you want to run a wide Z50 wheel in a set of narrow forks made for a skinny dirt bike wheel.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I would like some nice forks, but I also want to keep the original style front wheel. I do plan on switching to those cool street tires though.

I even seen a Z50 with disc brakes and some killer forks. Where is all this stuff coming from?

CC

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm not too "up" on suspension possibilities, but I've seen a complete disc-brake front end for a Z on CHP Racing's Web site, in the Z50 section, quite a ways down the looooooong page of parts. If I recall correctly it was still an undamped springs-only deal, like stock forks, but set up with a disc brake...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Carlo C. said:
Guys,

I see a lot of China front forks that go for sale on the forum pretty cheap. Will any of these bolt on to a 1980 Z50. I would like to update mine with some of these newer style billet forks and aluminum triple clamps. What do I need to look for that will be a bolt on upgrade?

Thanks in advance

CC

Plenty of front ends available for Z50 - you need to be aware that Z50's are wider between the fork legs due to the speedo drive also. In my experience you get what you pay for - chinese stuff is very hit and miss and can lead to more pain than joy.

Usually you buy a complete set-up Tripple clamp, forks, front hub and disc brake of various diameter to suit different diameter wheels

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

I am still pretty confused about all of this. I want to get a better front end for my little bike as the new engine combo should be pretty fast and I would like the little bike to be stable. I have a 107 cylinder and crank that we fitted to my Honda Z50 bottom end I bought a high compression piston from Vince at T-bolt and I am going to order the 4 speed conversion tomorrow. I am going to port the head and maybe install the T-Bolt recomended cam before I am done. I have some aftermarket exhaust that I modified to fit the bike and it now looks great and I bought the 16 front sprocket for the engine with the stock rear sprocket. With all of that being said I would like the little bike to still be safe and stable.

How do I know what front forks are right? I don't want the bike to sit too high and I would like to run the little street tires so those will need to fit also.

I seen this front end on ebay but do not know if it is junk or not or even if it is a direct bolt on.

Front Forks Triple Clamp Disc Hub Set Monkey Bike Z50: eBay Motors (item 150484862436 end time Sep-24-10 08:58:01 PDT)

There are a few things I would like to buy to finish my bike and the front forks are one of the items on my list. I would also like a aluminum swingarm, factory headlight, tail light, a nice speedometer and some aluminum wheels and I think I will be done. I would like to buy from the guys on this site so please point me in the right direction.

CC

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
well they have great feedback 99%, but trying to get information from them about a product you want to buy leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts