PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I am just about ready to start FrankenZ build, as it stands right now I have a 1963 c110/cz100 gas tank with petcock and gas cap, z50ak1 headlight and 1975 z50a frame. I do have a xr80 swing arm but I don't have the tools to mod it to fit the frame and I am too cheap to go to a shop and get it done for me.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Swingarm mods...easy. Mark what you need to take off in sharpie, and grind away carefully with an angle grinder until the ink's almost gone, then nip at it until it fits snugly. You could even do this with a hacksaw and big file if you were motivated enough. Cut shy, file to spec, etc. Check progress periodically with a small carpentry square or something to make sure your cuts aren't getting out of shape.

This thing is going to look really cool. Since a hardtail headlight bucket won't fit softtail headlight ears, and hardtail stems don't fit softtail frames, would you have use of a set of Z50R fork uppers, to which you could weld or otherwise attach some custom headlight ears? Not sure if customs makes this prohibitive, but if not, we could trade some things, or work something out...?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mexicanyella said:
Swingarm mods...easy. Mark what you need to take off in sharpie, and grind away carefully with an angle grinder until the ink's almost gone, then nip at it until it fits snugly. You could even do this with a hacksaw and big file if you were motivated enough. Cut shy, file to spec, etc. Check progress periodically with a small carpentry square or something to make sure your cuts aren't getting out of shape.

This thing is going to look really cool. Since a hardtail headlight bucket won't fit softtail headlight ears, and hardtail stems don't fit softtail frames, would you have use of a set of Z50R fork uppers, to which you could weld or otherwise attach some custom headlight ears? Not sure if customs makes this prohibitive, but if not, we could trade some things, or work something out...?

I also don't have an angle grinder to mod the swing arm, so I am looking for an xr80 swing arm that has already been modded including the brake stop.

I am not sure if I am gonna use the ak1 headlight yet. I am thinking of tracking down some zb50 forks w/triples and headlight

·
Registered
296 Posts
z50 chopper said:
I also don't have an angle grinder to mod the swing arm, so I am looking for an xr80 swing arm that has already been modded including the brake stop.

I am not sure if I am gonna use the ak1 headlight yet. I am thinking of tracking down some zb50 forks w/triples and headlight

IMO the 80 swinger always looks wierd. It seems unnecessary and really throws the lines off.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a few rules for this buildone of them is, stay away from aftermarket parts except for saftey related (ie:brakes)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
HondaZrider said:
IMO the 80 swinger always looks wierd. It seems unnecessary and really throws the lines off.

I can see that; but to my eye it's less of an issue with 10" wheels...

But thinking along those lines, consider this...8" wheels are cute, plentiful and they just work. You have a giant chrome gas tank. You want to use stock parts if possible. That kind of look worked pretty well for Honda on the stock Gorilla, which to me seems like all the goofy fun of riding a Z50R, but with room to fit your feet on the footpegs without your knees hitting your chin or the handlebars:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I have read the local requirements for where I live for this type of bike I need to keep wb in mind, besides longer wb make the bike a bit more stable.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have that setup in mockup form in my garage right now. Z50A frame, XR swingarm, Z50R fork uppers with CT70-K0 fork lowers stuffed in, on the Z50R springs. With the CT shocks in back, it looks about right until you sit on it, at which point the weak shocks and pronounced shock angle make the rear squat a lot.

The CT fork lowers in the Z fork uppers, in my opinion, leave too much unsupported lower tube length. You could shorten the CT lowers, effectively making your own +1 fork legs, and redrill the roll-pin holes, I guess, but at stock length I don't think they'd be safe.

I think I could make this setup work if I lowered the front ride height to the point that the bike was a little ass-end high with nobody on it, so it was level with the riders weight on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mexicanyella said:
I have that setup in mockup form in my garage right now. Z50A frame, XR swingarm, Z50R fork uppers with CT70-K0 fork lowers stuffed in, on the Z50R springs. With the CT shocks in back, it looks about right until you sit on it, at which point the weak shocks and pronounced shock angle make the rear squat a lot.

The CT fork lowers in the Z fork uppers, in my opinion, leave too much unsupported lower tube length. You could shorten the CT lowers, effectively making your own +1 fork legs, and redrill the roll-pin holes, I guess, but at stock length I don't think they'd be safe.

I think I could make this setup work if I lowered the front ride height to the point that the bike was a little ass-end high with nobody on it, so it was level with the riders weight on.

could you post a pic of that setup? might help me make up my mind

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yeah, but it's just sitting there; I haven't gotten around to welding a R-style tank mount onto that frame. It has a little block of wood under it right now. This frame had a trashed swingarm pivot area--super ovaled out--and little bolts welded to the spine tube so a hardtail ignition coil could be mounted, and a few other engineering changes. I figured it was as good a frame to alter as any; why not weld on a Z50r tank mount, since that's the only spare tank I have right now?

I could always cut it off and rework it once you send me that cool-looking chrome tank to play around with.

CT wheels, too. Don't overlook that. The CT red goes nice with the Z50R/XR80 red, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Nah, just jacking around. You should be the chrome-vintage-tank trailblazer around here.

I picked up a 1979 Z50R roller last year that came with what I think was an ATC tank, either from a 110 or a 185S, on it. It kind of gave the roller a Paris-Dakar look, like those BMWs...R80G/S or whatever they were.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts