PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yea there

Yea the problem for us in the states is there are no importers of electric minibikes really. Most of the the ones I have seen are in Europe and Austrailia so the DIY idea is a good option for people like me where I have no problem fabricating.
Ah well if you can fab some things up i'd say go for it! Id definitely advise as much research as possible before hand though.

that said for the cost of some electrics bikes out there you can definitely build one yourself at a much higher spec and far cheaper... I think my build including the bike will run approximately $1500 total with a decent battery charger too

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's cheap! What batteries are you going with? I used 4s 5ah turnigy lipo packs for my kart to make 12s 25ah.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's cheap! What batteries are you going with? I used 4s 5ah turnigy lipo packs for my kart to make 12s 25ah.
I've just received my lipos today 3x 6s 20ah running 18s 20ah/1334wh, the controller is rated up to 20s, I could probably twice fit the battery I have under the frame but these lipos weigh in at about 6.8kg total, this set up is still less weight than running the 4stroke engine though!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cant go wrong with that setup! What controller? Cant wait to see how you mount the batteries!
Should be enough I think for now, no idea how inefficient 10" wheels are going to be though! Its a votol 72v 100a controller which comes with the motor as a kit, its a cheap controller but people have been rating them.

Batteries will be mounted inside a watertight container, I've bent up some bars to cradle the batteries but this is not the final design, just a quick mock up so i can actually give it a test ride. I'm looking at finding containers for each lipo and mounting them so they vertical to slim them down, at the moment they are stacked sideways. but yeah a bit of an experiment at this stage!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Had the first few rides today....

I have to say absolutely completely blown away....Before buying this motor I was sceptical about its performance but god damn I cant believe how hard this motor pulls..

The current gearing tops out at exactly 50mph on gps which is more than id like (I calculated/estimated it to be around 35-40mph) but even with its current gearing it power wheelies like crazy!

riding off road in sport mode is just roooooooooooosting mud the entire time hahaha, you literally have to put it in the mid/slowest setting to get any decent traction, that said where I was riding was pretty swamped.

In terms of acceleration, Ive never felt anything quite like it from a bike this small, apart from the lack of traction i dont think many 4t engines would have a chance against it off the line..

But yeah im super pleased with it at the moment, I will admit this motor is overkill but does give you the biggest grin, if the same company made their smaller "1000w" version with the same sprocket/shaft I think that would be perfect for this size bike.

Very soon I will paint the frame, refab another lower battery frame mount and try and find a better box for the lipos.

Will try and get some video footage asap as well

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looks awesome! Can you rig up the batteries under the plastics? If you really want to get crazy i have a 400amp brushed controllers I will give you cheap. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks awesome! Can you rig up the batteries under the plastics? If you really want to get crazy i have a 400amp brushed controllers I will give you cheap. :D
Thanks bud! it might be possible but each individual cell is pretty big, I think it also helps a lot to have the battery mass at a lower centre of gravity..

HAHA that is very tempting but how hard this thing pulls with the stock 100A controller I wouldn't want to know what 400A would do!! Probably let a lot of magic smoke out! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
962 Posts
That looks pretty awesome...
Cool Electric Minibike!
There, I said it! Very cool.
We knew it would happen eventually...electric minibikes...it happened fast. And looked pretty easy...and cheap too!
Buy the motor with the correct output shaft...couple of mounting brackets...pick the controller...pic the batteries and a plan to mount them....fine tune the gearing...done??

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Cool Electric Minibike!
We knew it would happen eventually...electric minibikes...it happened fast. And looked pretty easy...and cheap too!
Buy the motor with the correct output shaft...couple of mounting brackets...pick the controller...pic the batteries and a plan to mount them....fine tune the gearing...done??
Looks even easier than that as the motor and controller, throttle, etc all comes together. All you need to do is pick batteries and mount it all. At least thats what I'm seeing. I'm playing with the idea of this on a bigger mini with a few more batteries so it could be used as a camp/hunting bike on my parents property. Its really quite amazing and I was comparing cost to the Alta and it seems all you need to match the run time(not the performance) is a battery pack that is about $1600(8 batteries like the OP used). this is good stuff for sure

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Also look I to Nissan leaf batteries. Safe and cheaper then lipos. Also heavier and may require a bms.
Hmm maybe I can talk to someone at work about this lol maybe I can get them for a decent price(I work at the a Nissan plant where we used to build the hybrid Murano so we had the batteries so idk why I never thought of this). I'm sure I'll have to go thru Nissan employee parts purchase program though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Okay,, we need a substitute for the term"braaap" now that electric bikes are here. I'm thinking "zhoosh" sounds about right. Great job on the conversion!
Haha thats about right! the only noise is from the chain and tyres, its pretty interesting how well you can manage your grip when you can actually hear as well as feel the rear tyre spinning.. Its also quite amazing how a bike with no sound appears slower than it reallyis, not that i mind it only makes it more stealth in my eyes!

Cool Electric Minibike!
heh heh! Yeah I genuinely didn't expect it to be quite this easy but there you go, I had a little bit of battery/motor/controller background knowledge from building high power racing drones but even if i hadn't I could have managed this easily still..

Looks even easier than that as the motor and controller, throttle, etc all comes together. All you need to do is pick batteries and mount it all. At least thats what I'm seeing. I'm playing with the idea of this on a bigger mini with a few more batteries so it could be used as a camp/hunting bike on my parents property. Its really quite amazing and I was comparing cost to the Alta and it seems all you need to match the run time(not the performance) is a battery pack that is about $1600(8 batteries like the OP used). this is good stuff for sure
Thats why I chose this motor/controller kit as they are ready to go from factory and at a good deal considering the cost of motors just 2-3 yeas ago, The altas battery is approx 5.8kwh, mine is only 1.3kwh so is more like 12 of my packs! That said my battery is on the small side but could easily double the capacity.

Also look I to Nissan leaf batteries. Safe and cheaper then lipos. Also heavier and may require a bms.
the batteries are often the most difficult area, most people build battery packs from 18650 cells but I went with what im used to with drones and made it simple with just 3 large lipo cells, although arguably much more dangerous than 18650s, both can go wrong, I can remove and inspect every battery for visible damage and balance charge after each ride and on a bike which will see a lot of bumps and vibration id prefer it that way. Whilst 18650 or nissan cells can be removable, often its hard to be able to actually inspect them once built

Nissan leaf cells would be great though but may be limited to how many you can fit on a pitter due to the larger fixed shape/size

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
so after playing with the controller settings a bit and reading the manual again I only just realised my controller is the em-100s"S" model for sport, which allows it to run at 150 amps, not just 100. The controller comes preset at just 65 amps and after bumping it up to 100 it made such a huge difference I couldn't believe it, but now after running it at 150 amps I now realise how completely absurd this motor is for this size bike :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

On tarmac unless you are leaning on the bars you will go upside down verrry quickly and after nearly looping it twice now I am going to drop it back down 100 amps maybe more, definitely going to need more tyres too!

also finished welding up the frame and threw some paint at it, 3d printed some covers for the wiring above the controller, looks much neat and should keep mud out, swapped the old chain roller for a lathed down skateboard wheel as they're a bit softer and quiet too..

once i get the new throttle box (allows you to use normal cable throttle) and if it works I will start making a new battery mount

21 - 40 of 62 Posts