PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you knew it would happen. I was going about replacing my front fork springs, got the new bbr stiffer springs screwed onto the metal pieces and went to insert the assembly into the fork sleeve when BAM...the forks won't go in and seat. 8O They seem to get stopped right before the black plastic you out that little cotter pin into. I have tried rotating the assembly, tried greasing the assembly, tried tightening and loosening the springs a bit but still have the same problem. Anyone got any ideas on what I seem to have botched?

I noticed the BBR springs are fatter than the stock springs but I would think BBR would have thought of that.

Any help is appreciated.

PS. I did try a search for this and couldn't find my problem. I swear when I'm done with all this I'm gonna make a website called Upgrades for Dummies for people like me.

· Registered
229 Posts
OKOK when you put your fork legs in make sure the TOP cap of the springs is pointing INWARDS (both of them point towards each other).. then push the fork leg straight up and it should seat.. if not the caps arent put together right or something is jammed, i dont think the springs would be off or anything

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RM. I tried putting it in the way you suggested. Still was getting caught on something so I took a real close look at the black plastic to see if it was out of round. I found a small bur left from when I tapped the pin back in. So I dremelled it down and wallah the stupid leg seated.

· Registered
31 Posts
My friend just got the applied springs that already have those ends on the springs and all you need to do is punch out the pin and put the new ones on. The spring doesn't even screw into the ends. That's weird because that means that the only thing holding in the spring is the C clip. Lastly, when we put the spring in we needed to compress it a bit to get it to go in and put the C clip back on. Any thoughts on this?

· Registered
229 Posts
Jester said:
My friend just got the applied springs that already have those ends on the springs and all you need to do is punch out the pin and put the new ones on. The spring doesn't even screw into the ends. That's weird because that means that the only thing holding in the spring is the C clip. Lastly, when we put the spring in we needed to compress it a bit to get it to go in and put the C clip back on. Any thoughts on this?

make sure the spring top caps are pointing inwards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I got everything back together making sure the forks clink into that little groove at the top of the tube. Now however, I have a twist on my left fork when I clamp on the brakes. Could this be because I did not tighten the wheel enough and have too much play, or did I do something else wrong? Or is that kinda normal. Just doesn't seem quite right to me.

BTW: When I did the second fork, I didn't take that stupid little cotter pin out and it was a much better experience in getting the fork back together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got it. I just didn't tighten the wheel bolt enough so it had too much play when I put on the front brake it twisted the left fork leg. I put both on, I just didn't have to take the whole fork assembly apart to screw the old spring off the fork and put the new one on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.