PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever thought of or seen an FMF megabomb header fab'd onto a Factory 4.1 system for a 50 (or onto any other system for that matter). I've been thinking about this for quite some time as I think it would just look sick! Any thoughts on how it might perform?:idea: Obviously it would need to be on large displacement motor and a good megabomb header would need to be chopped up and sacfrificed to the gods of all things cool but..............................

................any and all thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have thought about it before and actually asked the fmf rep at a dealer meeting and he laughed at me. He said there is no market for it.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
yeah..it figures...I have a Power Bomb on my WR250X 'Tard...it is a good deal...I think I am gonna try to make one for my current project bike...which is a mini

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand there being no market for it as it would probably cost a fortune but that doesn't mean it isn't cool or wouldn't work. That FMF rep didn't say anything about whether or not he thought it was a good idea did he?

Doopsx3, what kinda project you got going that your thinking about this? I'm sure it's cool whatever it is. You'll have to post some photos and performance reports should you do it for sure. I'm gona be putting a Tak 124 or 106 in my CRF soon enough and was thinking of experimenting on that as I already have a Factory 4.1 on it

Also, how exactly do you think the best way to determine where to place the mega or powerbomb in the existing header is?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I am gonna connect it to a D series BBR silencer...some peeps have a clue of what I am up to but I just do not want to show it off yet...I want to mock it and make sure it will be feasable and safe......or not

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand, but make sure and let me in on it when your ready to let the cat out of the bag. I'm thinking that it's probably going on that slick lil st90 project on your profile page though.....but that just a guess

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
ride1mc2day said:
I understand, but make sure and let me in on it when your ready to let the cat out of the bag. I'm thinking that it's probably going on that slick lil st90 project on your profile page though.....but that just a guess

that got pushed to the wayside for a little bit....not a big issue..just got real busy with my real job and then I have gotten a little side tracked with another project...ooooh yeah, my ST90 'Tard will be done this year

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya,.........project, project, project, the story of our lives huh? I can't ever finish one either before getting sidetracked onto another one, or two. FYI; that st90 is one sweet lil number.... right up my alley!:rolleyes:

back to the original question at hand, what do ya think is the best way to determine placement of the powerbomb? Is it just a hit or miss guess kinda deal or is there any logic to it ya think?

·
Registered
451 Posts
does fmf make a powerbomb for the honda crf 150 r? I am thinking a pipe for a 150 r chopped up and welded with similar measurements should be good

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking of chopping the megabomb section out of a crf250 and grafting it into my Factory 4.1 either right before the 1st step up, or right after the last step. not really sure yet. I would think that somewhere in the middle section would be optimum but I don't think there is room due to the big bend being right there smack in the middle. hoping to get some more feedback and opinions on here before I go chopping and cannibalizing

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
well I think you would want to make sure that the "bomb" part of the pipe is sized proportionally like it is on the 250 pipe...I mean, measure the 250 pipe and then your 50 pipe and see what the difference is (jot that down) then measure at the widest part of the "bomb" and subtract that from the 250 pipe size so you can basically get a comparison of how large you should make the bomb for the 50 pipe....you following me on this one???

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
ride1mc2day said:
I think I'm following. Are you talking diameter proportions?

definatley possible to do what your talking about, i mean the only displacment on a motor that i would think (just my oppinion) would be like a GPX 160 something with some serious out put, but ya know what its worth a try if i had the parts and welding skills i would mess with this kinda stuff for days on end, i think jetting it would be kind of a biatch but....if your tired it and everything fit together and worked i think the mega bomb would give a mini SOME SERIOUS bottom end pull!:)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
hmmm. if only somethin cool was for a yosh pipe. I got a fab and welder here...hes actually the guy that rewelded all the Zero dirtbike frames and built those new crf50 look alike downhill mtb racers.

back to this though. Im not familiar with the mega or powerbomb since Im a streetbike guy. But dont you need to worry about back pressure and whatnot?

·
Registered
451 Posts
doopsx3 said:
upright engine has different characteristics than a horizontal
yes they do but the pipe would be close to the right size. then chop cut weld and make it fit. starting with a pipe for a 150cc engine is going to work better than starting with a pipe for a 250cc engine

1 - 20 of 106 Posts