PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of mental masturbation I finally bought a Motoped Pro off a fellow on eBay. It's a new kit bike less motor that he'd partially assembled.

I have a variety of motors sitting around but at least for the short term a CRF-70 motor is going into it. It's stock save for CRF-50 primary gears.

I guess I was surprised to see it had no serial number. This makes sense since it's a "kit" bike and not a complete vehicle so I'll have to go with an Indiana self-assembled vehicle title.

Where am I going with this? No clue. Going electric is a strong option along with a set of motorcycle wheels & tires.

As I stumble through this experiment I'll keep you posted. I'm sure I'm going to have some questions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After years of mental masturbation I finally bought a Motoped Pro off a fellow on eBay. It's a new kit bike less motor that he'd partially assembled.

I have a variety of motors sitting around but at least for the short term a CRF-70 motor is going into it. It's stock save for CRF-50 primary gears.

I guess I was surprised to see it had no serial number. This makes sense since it's a "kit" bike and not a complete vehicle so I'll have to go with an Indiana self-assembled vehicle title.

Where am I going with this? No clue. Going electric is a strong option along with a set of motorcycle wheels & tires.

As I stumble through this experiment I'll keep you posted. I'm sure I'm going to have some questions.

I was trying to purchase some parts from Motoped and their telephone numbers are either disconnected or their toll-free numbers go to a bogus answering machine (not Motoped). Have they gone belly up???

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Don't saddle it with electric.

Have you done anything with this bike? Post photos at least!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a slow project. I work on it when I'm not taking care of my wife (hospice).

Anyway I finished assembly where I could ride it around as a bicycle, pulled a fresh CRF-70 motor out of another project, installed it and then wired it up using a modified generic Chinese pit bike harness. I have a "big" (one gallon) Clarke gas tank on my BBR/XR-50 that's going back to "stock" so I took it, installed it on the Motoped and brought it to life.

I want this thing to be as quiet as possible and found the stock muffler too loud for my tastes. I have a pipe from a Chinese 125cc Z-50 replica and installed it just for fun to see how quiet it would be with a 70 motor. It tucks in nice and tight like it was made for it. With it temporarily bolted in place I fired up the bike and found it to be almost noiseless!! It's quiet enough that it would rival the whine of an electric bike. This particular pipe has a bolt-on mounting bracket (most of them are welded on) and a day was spent making a bracket that will bolt to the lower right sub frame location which required "thinning" the inside of the lower right subframe hanger an equal amount to the thickness of the new hanger.

I took it for a ride around the neighborhood and snuck up on a neighbor out walking his dog who thought I was on a bicycle--and he was amazed at how quiet it was. Perfect!!

While I had it in rideable condition I pottered about and found that the stock gearing was too high for my intended use and I ordered up final drive sprockets from Rebel gears in a 20/37 combo (stock is 23/34). With the 50 primary gears in the 70 motor this will give me an overall ratio of around 49:1 (it was 39:1 with the stock gearing). This ought to allow the little motor to pull me around like a trials bike.

Right now the Z-50 pipe is off for paint and installation of a 47mm cylinder (stock 70 bore) that's marked 49cc. I also made a simple wiring harness for a tiny LED marker light I'm using as a tail light and a small, light and amazingly functional lawn mower head light I picked up from Surplus Center in Nebraska hung off the handlebar clamp with an aluminum bracket I made. The lights will be controlled by an on-off switch on the bars. Once it's all together I'll start the process of getting a self-assembled vehicle title and getting a "Class B Motor Driven Cycle" (a. k. a. "moped") license plate. Using the mounting points where the stock muffler bolted on I'm making a folding license plate bracket that'll tuck up under the subframe when I don't want the plate to be seen.

I left the tank shrouds and rear fender off and ideally I'd like to have the bicycle seat mount from a Survival Bike if I can ever get in touch with the people at Motoped. If not I'll manufacture one this winter. From a hundred feet I want it to look as bicycle-like as possible and with it whisper quiet there's lots of "opportunities" where it can be ridden...

When I get it closer to being complete I'll have someone snap some pics of it. I'm one of six people in America who still carries a flip phone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woo-hoo!! I found that 70 cylinder (47mm) I've been searching for in that disaster of a garage I have. I'd damned near been tripping over it for months. It's marked "48 cm3", not 49cc. I may have to do a search for a spare. If I remember this one came from an eBay vendor called "Fancy Scooters".

After ordering up a couple of new head gaskets I found one of those as well. There's all kinds of stuff out there if I just knew where the hell to find it...

The rings will be here Wednesday so I may pull it down tomorrow, get everything ready for re-installation and then get it all done after the rings are in hand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to go to the Motoped web site and it was gone. Given I've not had any response this shouldn't have been a surprise. Hopefully I'll never need anything that I can't find elsewhere.

Currently it's in my kitchen getting some final details completed. In between caring for the wife I was getting bored so I figured while it was still clean it would be a good idea. Thank goodness the wife can't see it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Post some pics already! I love custom builds and would love to see yours. Is there a problem with the cyl being marked smaller than 49cc?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Post some pics already! I love custom builds and would love to see yours. Is there a problem with the cyl being marked smaller than 49cc?
Sorry, I'm still stuck firmly in the 20th century and don't have the means of getting a pic. Eventually somebody will come by and I'll have them snap a few.

I just wanted the bike to be labeled as "motor driven cycle" legal for Indiana hence the 48cc marked cylinder. I've been on the hunt for another one without luck although ones for 88cc are available.

I still need to install the lower gearing I got from Rebel Gears. I sent them some sprocket prints I found on-line--maybe the same site dirtbkr188 mentioned?

Other than some initial work on finishing the wiring I've been a bit busy to work on the critter despite it being within a couple of steps away. Caring for the wife is a 24/7 job and here lately when I get a chance to work on it I instead take a nap in the easy chair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well here is a motor driven cycle.no it's not a 49cc but don't tell John law lol it took some doing but it turned out good all I was going for is to not look forced like it came this way what ya think? it's fun to blast around the hills in the woods

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Motor, zeda 3x 40. mzmiami open transfer ports Japan brgs ,my own port timeing, big gasbike Reed,20mm carb, zeda small pipe bent/welded to fit, shaved head, yes it China junk I'm ashamed of my self hahaha

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That thing is bad ass!! Homie likes it. How's the quality on those motors? I've heard all kinds of stories.

I seriously considered on of these motor kits but the mixed reviews on quality scared me off. I figured if I bought one I'd have to redo it to my own "specs".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally I had someone take a picture of it, one of the things needed to apply for an Indiana MVIN (serial) number.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The whole Zombie Apocalypse thing and an unwilling bureaucrat at the Indiana BMV put the shiite to easily getting a serial number. It looks like I'm going to have to file suit in small claims court against the BMV to get a court order for them to issue me an MVIN number.

This isn't all that unusual. They also stopped issuing replacements for "lost" titles and instead have left it up to the court system to decide if your paperwork is up to snuff.

Once you present all the paperwork to the court (and a money order for $115) they give you a court date. In between then and when you file the BMV will send a letter telling you that they will not be coming to court and will abide by whatever the judge decrees. Small claims court can be a royal P. I. T. A. Most of the people there are tennants who are being sued for not paying their rent usually over the poor conditions in the house or apartment they lived in. The laws are apparently slanted towards the landlords because I've rarely seen any of the tennants win.

But I'm way off the subject. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll put my case at the top of the docket. They did this with my .99 Honda Passport and I was out of there in about an hour.

In the meanwhile I'm kicking the idea of building a mount for the left rear of the bike to mount a Rotopax. I also put a cheap set of more street oriented tires on it so I can play here in town until I can go to the woods. I'd like to have one of those Denzel Bike rear tires but I'm not going to pay a hundred bucks (with shipping). I don't think the blistering (!!) horsepower of the CRF-70 motor is going to roach the tire I bought.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah--the Motoped website is back up at buymotoped.com. Apparently you have to call them to order anything because when I tried on the website you get to where you want to pay for the stuff and can't go any further. Fingers crossed the new owner will have better luck and make people happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts