PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im rebuilding the bike n i figured while the motor was off i might as well replace the clutch springs and put some new plates in...my 1st question because i have never taken my clutch apart before

does that look normal? I dk this is my 1st time, i was reading on danos bike shop...n it looks like that is some sort of washer and your supposed to bend the tabs?

and...

Trail Bikes Clutch Nut Socket

can i get the type of socket at a local hardware store or am i gunna have to wait a full week for this thing to show if i order it..?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm going to probably get bashed for this but, I just used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to spin that lock nut off.My clutch hasn't blown out of my side case after 3 months of abuse so I think I'm good. Then just tighten it back a reasonable amount. Those tabs ARE supposed to be bent in to the little slots, so that nut probably isn't tight enough.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Looks fine to me. Those tabs are supposed to be bent in so it wont back off on its self. Just bend the tab back a little so it will clear the clutch nut socket and you'll be fine. Just be easy with it so you dont break the tabs off and can re-use it.

I've never seen one of those clutch nut sockets at a local hardware store..You should be able to get them up at your local motorcycle parts dealer though. It would save shipping time. ;)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
southwickmx338 your good, its just kind of hard to "torque" or get a good feel just how tight you're putting the nut on with a hammer/punch (unless youre better at torquing with a hammer than I am lol). Taking it off I dont see why it would be a problem though..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm so u think i can just get the socket at a local shop? i wasnt sure if it was a special size ya know

·
Registered
828 Posts
jirish617 said:
well both local shops are acting like im crazy and don't know what a clutch nut socket is...

LOL...hmm, If you really don't want to wait for it, I've seen people on here make one out of a normal 6-point socket. You can get one from a vendor on here and they will send it super quick.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
jirish617 said:
well both local shops are acting like im crazy and don't know what a clutch nut socket is...

really?!

ask them what they use to take off klx110 and crf50/70 clutches.

mine had em, thats weird..

·
Registered
443 Posts
i made 2 of them i just used a socket and cut the teeth out of it and it has worked fine for me 2 differnet sizes one for an import motor and a crf motor it takes about 5 minutes with a cut off wheel and a grinder and it saves about 30 bucks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i called 1 other shop n luckily like all the parts guys ride honda 50's n were able to get 1 on order for me for $10 so ill b back in business! haha

yea ive heard of ppl using a 12 point socket, i imagine thatd havta be huge

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
if you want to ride while you are waiting it's really easy to work on the clutch with the motor in the bike, if you just tip it over on it's left side you don't even have to drain out the oil to do it

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys ill just use this thread instead of posting a new thread, I am waiting for a red baron frame to fit, can i pull the key switch off the stock frame n mount it on the Red Baron or do I need to buy a kill switch? How do I pull the key switch off also?

·
Registered
828 Posts
jirish617 said:
Hey guys ill just use this thread instead of posting a new thread, I am waiting for a red baron frame to fit, can i pull the key switch off the stock frame n mount it on the Red Baron or do I need to buy a kill switch? How do I pull the key switch off also?

You can mount it in the hole on the top motor mount. All you do it detach the wire for the key, press down the little tabs with your fingers, and pull it through.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts