PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search here and on the net... But no luck.

Like the title says what are people doing for fenders on 3''+ extended swingarms?

Any ideas would be a great help...

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm guessing you're looking for something custom?

Most people I see just run OEM..I guess technically my plate is an extended fender? :p

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
I used a couple of XR70 tank collars (part #5 shown below) where the fender mounts to the frame behind the engine, it tilted the fender up enough to center it over the rear wheel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some good ideas... Thanks!

I guess I don't really know what I want yet... But this bike, I've got 5 bikes, is going to be a cafe racer look... I think... Lol...

Don't mind the knobby tires or engine... I have street tires and a piranha 140 to go into this one.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
For instance shiftup and minimoto have bracket kits to place the fender back. They are not too difficult to make yourself.
It is just canted steel sheet with some holes and extra hardware.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Or, you can trim the fender so you don’t have to worry about the fitment. Not mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carpet in your shop? Lol... Mines littered with cigarette buts and empty beer cans haha

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So here's what I came up with after everyone's suggestions...

Aluminum angle cut, bent and drilled with big nuts... :) ... As spacers.

I think this might work. Now keep in mind that this is on a 1.5 extended swingarm... The next bike has the 3''. Just looking at the picture it's a little much for the 1.5 but will probably be perfect for the 3''... I'll powder coat it the same red as the frame...

Thought's?

Here's the 1.5 no spacer

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Honestly, always thought the swingarm was a little short for the fender alignment from the factory. A 1.5" extended swinger looks just about perfect with the fender in the stock location. I would use the spacer on the 3" swinger. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Yeah, the stock fender looks much more aligned with a +4cm swingarm. Mine is a stock fender and stock location.

What shocks are you running on the 1.5” swingarm. I have another one arriving soon for my dirt going 96 Z. My street Z has xr80 or xr75 shocks that are 12”/305mm. Looking for a decent shock that’s not going to break the bank. Lots of options for 330mm but they seem better suited for a +3” swingarm. Will be running +1” two bro front fork legs on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shocks are 280mm or 11 inches... The forks are 20 inches top to center of axle.

The next bike will be 320mm shocks and 3'' swingarm and forks another 4cm longer.

Really happy with how this one turned out :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here's it almost finished with the front fender pushed ahead about 3/4 of an inch.

Actually no real way to mount the front fender in the stock location with these forks.

Had to make a plate to hide the old mounting holes... Some steel plate and then powder coated... Don't look to bad.

·
3,291 Posts
Honestly, always thought the swingarm was a little short for the fender alignment from the factory. A 1.5" extended swinger looks just about perfect with the fender in the stock location. I would use the spacer on the 3" swinger. Nice job!
You got that right! 1.5 swinger is perfect for the factory fender place. Honda did get certain things kinda wonky. But they were building bikes for kids not Porsches. They get a bye. Lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts