PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a stock crf50 frame and xr70 swingarm and the bs22ar fastace thats 270mm long wont fit at all!! the shock wont sqeeze into either mounting points which isnt the problem the bolt holes wont line up:( inorder to get it to fit im thinking i'd have to mod the stock frame to get the swingarm to angle down lower or oval the bolt holes.

so how does everyone go about installing these longer shocks:confused:

changing swingarms isnt an option staying honda on almost every part.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would love the fox float but dont have the cash just yet was planning on getting one next year and using the fastace for now untill it snows.

so i took the spacers that came with the shock off and it seems like it'll fit that way.

could i just use a thicker bolt and washers as spacers and drill the mounting holes on the frame and swingarm a tad bigger to match? its so close but not close enough to bolt on and the xr70 swingarm is as far down as it will go. eye to eye the frame and swingarm measures 10.5" exactly but the shock measures 10 5/8"

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
can you adust the pre-load on the shock

I see that you can after I googled the shock...back off the preload all the way and then put the shock on

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm i thought about that but i thought when you adjust preload the shock stays the same length just the spring gets compressed more:confused:

also was i supposed to get wrenches to adjust the preload? seems like its pretty tight

my buddy just told me i have to use those aluminum spacers that came with the shock because thats what lets it spin and if i use just a thicker bolt in its place it'll seize up. think some anti seize would do the trick if i apply it often?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Just make sure the bolts nice and tight without bending your frame shock mount. That way it wont have much presure on the shock and give it room to play

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
you need to use the bushings...but yeah, loosen up the preload...install your shock and then set the sag (adjust preload)...if you do not have a preload wrench, tap the lock nut loose with a flat punch and then you should be able to just twist the spring to loosen the preload

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hey I have a 10 5/8 Long shock on a CRF frame with an XR70 swinger..YES I had to cut the frame a little to allow the swingarm to drop a little.. Its no biggy and in no way will compromise the frame.. Seems the only right way to make it fit and yea you need to use the shims for the shock or you will pinch it tight... On other swingarms the cross bar thats hitting the frame is farther back towards the rear tire an XR70 swinger that bar is near the frame and limits travel...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k im an idiot:oops: not only does it fit (thanks doopsx3!) but the paint was so thick on the swingarm that i had to hammer the bolt through and paint chips flew through the other side. so the appearance of a smaller bolt hole made it look like it wasnt gonna fit! lol

now about that preload adjustment do i follow the fox float instructions? i think its 1" of sag? if so do i measure with my feet on the pegs or floor?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
taz69 said:
Hey I have a 10 5/8 Long shock on a CRF frame with an XR70 swinger..YES I had to cut the frame a little to allow the swingarm to drop a little.. Its no biggy and in no way will compromise the frame.. Seems the only right way to make it fit and yea you need to use the shims for the shock or you will pinch it tight... On other swingarms the cross bar thats hitting the frame is farther back towards the rear tire an XR70 swinger that bar is near the frame and limits travel...

yes i see how doing it the way you did would increase the travel:)

but i should be happy with the way it is since i mostly ride trails:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts