PlanetMinis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you. I did see those, but unfortunately, they won't work for what I want with my setup. The risers that came with the other fork are taller than what I want. I need to measure the spacing for the mounting bolts, and see if I can find shorter units that can work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I folded, and just bought new bars. Bought some trackside aluminum bars. I couldn't find anything that matched the bolt spacing for the weird Chinese top mount. (highlighted in the picture). The mounts seems to be an okay height, so far. If I want them shorter, I'll probably cut them down. I've decided this is temporary, until I can figure out if I want a different fork set later on. I'll have to account for fork length. I need to study up on geometry instead of eyeballing all this crap, like I've been doing. lol.

Also ordered some new adjuster blocks for the rear wheel. The originals were pretty terrible, and didn't quite fit that well. I figured they were modified or damaged, so I replaced them. The new ones were a little thicker, but far better made, and I figured they'd take up all the slack left by the originals. Well, they fitted like crap too. lol. The swingarm is just terribly made. I'm not worried about it too much. I can make it work. Time to set where I want the chain length at. Want to leave enough space for multiple sprocket sizes. Then I'll cut some links out the chain.

Anyway, I have to hit up lowe's again, and get more stainless hardware. I bought a few bolts that were a bit short or a bit long. I don't really need stainless, as this bike will never see dirt again, under my ownership, but the original bolts are rustier than all hell, and I don't need that in my life. lol. Overall, the bike is about ready to ride. Just need the spacers and shock to come in, and I'm good to go.

Product Font Engineering Auto part Machine

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Short update:

Shock and spacers came in. Forgot to get longer bolts for the brake caliper on my hardware runs, so that's not bolted up yet, but the shock was installed. The CDI is a little close to the reservoir, but I got it clear enough to not be a problem. Removed the decals from the plastics and able to start final reassembly. Went back to the original axle blocks. I need a longer rear axle to fit the new ones, so that's a wash. And I need to cut the chain, now that I have the distance I want to allow for sprocket changes. Pictures will be posted later today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok... So, no pictures today, but here's an update:

The diameter of spacers for the brake mounting bolts are too small for the bolts. So, that's a no go. I've lost the clamp that holds my kills switch on the handlebar. My plastics are all pretty shit, and it looks like I'm missing more things, and most stuff broken. I'm in crunch time now, as I wanted to take this thing to bowling green with me next weekend to do some shake downs and set the bike up. Time to start seeing what can be shipped via Amazon, and look for anything that can fit, brake wise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Well, a few things....

First, new plastics came in. Somehow, I got two sets. I ordered one, and two boxes showed up. Second box showed up about an hour after the first. Had to go back and check that I didn't order two accidentally. Oh well, nothing better than free extras.

Second, I think the original exhaust is actually broken. The sleeve that goes around the pipe where the exhaust bolts is no longer there. I think that explains why the exhaust was flopping around, even though the exhaust bolts were tight. Ordered a factory exhaust, since I can't one of the universal ones that's shaped close enough to the original.

Third... Brakes are a no go. Again, my fault for not measuring first. The original fork bolt spacing is 45mm. The new fork is 43mm. I made an order for a brake kit on aliexpress. One of the "radial" mount brakes. Not sure if it's gonna make a difference, but I'm really just hoping it fits in the wheel, unlike my other 4 pot caliper. I have looked for other brakes with the correct spacing, but they are M6 bolts. M6 bolts with M8 holes do not a safe feeling system make.

So, I'm giving up on having this ready by the weekend. Now just to sit back and wait on parts to show up. Good thing is I know what to do next time around. Lol. I feel like I should have just done this to my Apollo z20 to begin with. Hopefully this helps out other people deciding to make a conversion. Honestly, I should have just went with better forks. Particularly something that came with brakes installed already. But, other than the few frustrations, it's been a fun build so far, even though I've been doing a lot of complaining. lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So, new exhaust came in. This confirmed the original exhaust was broken. I was hoping that my brake and brake caliper had come in, but it was my sprocket set for my Lifan KPM200. Assembly would have started yesterday, but I got back in to ga from bowling green at 3 am, and had to be back into work by 630 for a meeting at 7. I was planning to leave work after the meeting, but the other mechanic called out, and I had to stay at work. Yesterday was a long day.

I can start a little more assembly today, after I visit with the kiddo and unpack the truck.

Also, I don't like NCM that much. If any of you have been there, what do you think about it? I did it on my MT-10, and I feel like I should have been on my RC390.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hurray!! My brake came in today!! Kinda hoping this one fits in the wheel. If it doesn't... I'll make it fit. lol. I'm still slacking on cutting this chain to fit, because I keep wanting to move the wheel back farther to make more space for bigger sprocket size swings. Anyway, pictures if I can get them today. I have the kiddo for the weekend, and he usually wants to jump on his bike and ride, immediately.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bicycle part Tool Gas Auto part Machine

Got my brake setup in. It fits inside the wheel, but the bleeder screw gets in the way and hits the wheel when installing. I also messed up my measurement of the brake rotor. I thought I had a 220mm rotor, but the 220 bracket holds the caliper too far out. So, I need a 200mm bracket. Trying to find something here in the states, but it's looking like another order from China is going to have to happen. Lol.

One the brake issue is settled, that may officially be the last step, then I can get the dang thing running.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wrapped the exhaust. Please ignore the regular zip ties. They'll be replaced with metal ties once I find them. (Been sitting on them for 3 years).
Automotive tire White Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle

Also, the rest of the brake setup: the Chinese rc19 copy. Lol. It's one of two sets I have. The other says brembo on it. I wanted to see if these were worth a damn, and was gonna try them on my Lifan first, but figured it'll be safer to try it on the sumo, as it'll be track and parking lot only. If they work, I'm thinking of trying them on my track bike.
Watch Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle Crankset

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Got the bike together enough to try and start it. After figuring out why I had a fuel leak, I finally got to kick it over. The bike made a terrible noise, almost like the clutch for the kick start was still engaged, and the bike would just die. Never ran for more than a couple seconds. I played with the carb as much as I could, but I think it's the engine.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

So, at this point, what should I do? Rebuild, replace, or upgrade?

Kiddo's suit should be here by the end of the month, and gonna try and make it to Herrin Compound.

·
Administrator
10,667 Posts
Prior to trying to start it, what did you do to the engine? change the oil? spray WD-40 into the cylinder via the spark plug hole and hand-kick it over a couple of times? If the bike had been sitting for a while before you bought it, things could be rusted inside, or stuck together, or gummed up, etc. etc.

Did the kickstarter return to the up position after each kick?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Prior to trying to start it, what did you do to the engine? change the oil? spray WD-40 into the cylinder via the spark plug hole and hand-kick it over a couple of times? If the bike had been sitting for a while before you bought it, things could be rusted inside, or stuck together, or gummed up, etc. etc.

Did the kickstarter return to the up position after each kick?

Yep, had to drain the oil to do the stator. Made sure I filled it back up after the stator work, just so I wouldn't forget on the day I was to try and start it. I did try to start the bike the day after I bought it, which it what sent me down the rabbit hole of finding out why it wouldn't run.

The kick start returned to it's normal positon, but it caught my leg on the way up a few times. I'm thinking the clutch might still be engaged, because it comes up with way more force than my Apollo or the kiddos crf50. I'm half tempted to just buy a new engine, and set this one aside for rebuild for a future project.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Okay guys, got a question:

Do I replace with a 125 or a 140? I'm looking at both. I don't really plan on racing this bike, but if I do, I'll have to run in the unlimited class with SE Mini Moto no matter which engine I choose, I think.

So, should I upgrade, or just stick with the 125?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts