PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hello!

A couple weeks ago, I picked up a non-running DB17 for $100. Since my kiddo has been riding, he wants me to take him out to the mini track out here. The only time I've been was with my friend, and I borrowed her kayo MR150 to ride. This is now my mini, so I can ride with him.

Since this is a very budget minded build, I've been looking around, and figured a budget wheel and tire combo. I bought the Tc-motor supermoto wheelset on Amazon in 2.5" front and 3" rear. I wasn't sure in tire size, so I bought some Kenda KD1s in stock Grom sizes. After looking at the bike, I might have went too wide a tire for the front. I also bought a 39 tooth rear sprocket. I'm going to reuse the factory rotors, but did buy a cheap 4 pot brake caliper. Just need an adapter to go make it fit. Since I have a bunch of pit bikes for my kid, I've acquired a lot of parts. Going to use a new nibbi PE24 I have sitting around, along with a "high performance" coil and cdi to throw on it.

I think the fork may be shot, though. I'm thinking of using a DNM fork and shock to make the bike a bit more adjustable, or just getting a cheap replacement fork, but still upgrading the shock.

Pictures will be posted soon. Still taking some.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So, here's the bike:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

The front and back wheels. They look like the ones tbolt offer, but came out a little cheaper due to the lack of new hardware:
Watch Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Watch Wheel Furniture Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Watch Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Tire

The Kenda Kwick KD1s. Got them in 120/70/12 and 130/70/12. I fear the front might be too wide. I can probably adjust for the rear if the chain rubs:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Azure
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

And here's the sprocket. Generic 39 tooth piece from Amazon:
Automotive tire Bicycle part Crankset Rim Gear

as for the caliper, this isn't the exact one. I bought this one to fit to my Lifan KPM200. But, the new caliper is a black version made to fit on the left side. This will be fitted with a knockoff brembo rcs19 master cylinder:

Motor vehicle Font Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so, the spare harness should work. It's made for a bike that has battery start, but I think I can delete the battery power and ground wires without causing too much trouble. This does require me to replace the stator also, as the morons cut the wires on the plug side of the stator, and I like having the multi pin plugs instead of the bullet plugs. Going to try and get the Kendas mounted, and I need to go buy a new micrometer, so I can measure the axles. I got a lot of different axle sizes on the parts list from the Tao website, but the best way to do it, is to just measure it myself. I also need new exhaust studs, as the ones on the head are rusted to death. I also need to modify the old coil, or just make some new wires, so I can use my "high performance" orange coil. Also tried to find an Iridium plug to fit these engines, but couldn't. Unfortunately, I had to use the Torch A7TC as a reference. Maybe I should have looked here first. lol.

Anyone here has suggestions for suspension, or general setup that I should take into account, while the bike is in pieces? I want to do this all only once, unless I'm taking things apart for upgrades later on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, one of my cats decided to chew on my extra wire harness. She completely tore apart the battery ground that I was going to remove anyway. That wasn't a big deal. But, she also severed the blue/white wire that goes to the CDI. I went ahead and ordered another harness. This one is more simple, so no need to modify it.

Also thinking of going ahead and ordering a new fork. Just trying to decide on if I want to get a generic fork or go ahead and get something decent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, did a test fit of the wheels today. The rear wheel seems to be okay. It's already 15mm, so no need to do the reducer kit for that. The front wheel is 12mm, but, since I've decided to just go ahead and order a new fork, I'm just gonna order a 15mm axle also.

My front tire is too wide to fit between the fork, so I need to order a smaller one. 100/90/12 will have to be the next try.

Other than that, the new chain is here, new harness is ordered, nibbi carb well be going on soon, new spark plug is in, and personal harness was completely removed after pulling the tape on all the connections. Everything was what just twisted together wiring, or used just the male side of blade connectors as wire nuts. Lol. I'm thinking of buying a new exhaust for it also, as the original seems to have a few things, other than rusty, going on with it.

More pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so, Doing some messing around, here. I think I'm going to go with shorter forktubes. The originals were 735mm. I'm going to go down to 700mm generic units. As much as I wanted the DNM fork set, I don't think there's a need for it at the moment. The original shock is a 305mm unit. I think I can drop to a 290mm unit without throwing off the physics too much. I will get a DNM shock, though, as I would like to have more adjustability on the rear. Now I just need a 15mm axle for the front, and assembly will begin. That, and needing a new front tire.

I'm also going to be ordering a new cortech adrenaline suit. My sedici corsa is too small, and I never returned it, thinking I was gonna work out and lose weight to fit it. (i lied to myself. lol). I'm gonna keep the two piece for the mini tracks, and have the cortech for the big boy stuff. lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photo dump of what's done so far.

New harness ready to go.
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wire Electrical supply

Right fork tube leaked from the top.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

Old parts.
Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Should I clean and wrap the exhaust, or get a new one?
Wood Road surface Line Wall Brick

How it sits now.
Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Motor vehicle Bicycle accessory

Need a new throttle tube.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, current data dump:

Ordered a bunch of stuff.

Front Axle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082D4JTJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Fork with triple tree: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P1NHGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

New Front Sprocket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096DS7V5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MRLDSVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Gonna need a heavier spring for this one, I suspect)

Puller kit: (Because I didn't have one.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MB13D6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also stopped by cycle gear and picked up a new throttle tube and shifter. The shifter was for the kiddo's crf 50, but he said he didn't want it. I think it's a little short for my bike, but I'm willing to give it a shot, since it's a cheap and easy mod.

Started trying to pull the stator, but I didn't have anyway to pull the flywheel, which is why I ordered the puller kit. Also, ordered a new front tire, and the cortech suit. Not gonna lie, though, I'm a little worried about the rear tire rubbing the chain. I think I can get around it, somehow, but it still concerns me. Also, the frame could use a bit of painting. I don't really care about it looking pretty. I'm just trying to cover up a giant rust spot on the frame. But, I don't want to strip the bike down anymore that what it is, because then I'll have ideas I don't need to act on. lol. Anyway, I want it running before the end of the month, because I'm taking it with me to bowling green for pit bike duties (and basic shakedown tests). After that, it's off to Herrin Compound with the kiddo, to get him some more track time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, fork showed up. It's terrible. Lol. But, that's okay. I'll keep the old fork so I can practice rebuilding forks. The DMN came with a 250lbs spring. Too light for me, bit it was the fastest shock to arrive, as I'm on a time crunch. I can buy a spring for later. Right now, I just need this to ride. The 15mm axle wouldn't fit through the wheel bearing. I found out that the dye used to cut the thread mushroomed the axle. I'll just see if I have one that size, and go over it again to bevel that part.

I found out the adjuster on the DNM MK-AR controls rebound and compression, not just rebound.

Engine work will start today. Harness,stator, valve adjustment, oil change, sprocket, and carb first. If I have time, shock and rear wheel install to see how the tire and chain interact.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another photo dump.

Installed new stator, front sprocket, wire harness, carb, and shock. Had to clearance the stator/sprocket cover and a bit off the stator to get it to fit. Installed the shock. Unfortunately, one of the bolts ended up stripped. I can only assume it was stripped during assembly. Going to have to get some new bolts.

The clearancing was a PITA. I thought I just had to make space for the new 16t sprocket, but I found it the the stator that came with that harness had a larger bracket for the pickup. I had to do a bit of grinding to get everything to fit.

Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Water Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Wood Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Alloy wheel Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I'm trying to be cheap, and mount these tires on my own, instead of paying to have them put on. I've started on the rear tire, and it's kicking my booty. I got one side on, which was a PITA, but doable. The other side is what's killing me. It's like a need 2 more hands, and an extra tire lever to get the dang thing on. But, once the tires are mounted, the rest of the assembly will commence. I at least want the wheels on before I try to start the bike, and play with the carb.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I made some progress today. Finally got the tires mounted, then had a hell of a time getting the bead to set on the front wheel.

After that, I test fitted the wheel on the fork to see if everything clears. It did, so, on to installing the fork.

This is where the real trouble started. The bottom of the fork tube fit perfectly in the triple clamp. But, the to clamp was bigger than the top of the fork tube. So, now I have to figure out what to do. Guess, I'll use the top of the triple than came with the fork. I pull that out and install it, but it seems the offset for the fork tube is different from the original, and nothing lines up. So, I decided to just install the new triple tree. I pull everything apart and see that the bearings, bearing races, and freaking shaft are all different sizes.

Now, in back to square one. Guys I'll try my original plan again. Long story short, that worked.

After that things were going smoothly, but now, I'm starting to find more problems. I may need different brakes, as the original brake bracket has different spacing for the mounting bolts, and that caliper I bought can't fit inside the wheel. Because I have a different triple top half, the original handlebar clamp mounting bolt holes don't line up, and I can't use the one that came with the new fork, because it's for the 22mm handlebar, but I have 31.8 handlebars.

I've also seemed to have lost my rear axle, after I pulled it out to clean and grease it.

Anyway, I was hoping to have it in it's own wheels, and trying to start and tune it by tomorrow. It can probably still happen, but we'll see.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Gas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More revelations!!! So, the mounting bolts for the brakes do line up!! But... The spacing is different, as you can see from the picture.

So, I have a couple of options. Buy/make spacers or buy a new bracket. Any of you fellas run into this problem (Chinese or mainstream bikes)? Any suggestions?

Also, that 10mm reduction in stock length had a much larger impact than expected. The rake was almost Harley-esq. That, and the way too soft spring made everything unusable. I put the stock shock back on to compensate.

Overall, the bike is about where it needs to be at this point. Just have to fix a few issues, and it should be good to go.

The bike started out the same height as my Apollo, and now it's about the size I want it.

Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dirtbkr188, Thank you again for pointing out the spacers for me. I ordered a set of each (I have a few more projects I'm about to do some things on), and found a shock. I ordered a 310mm DNM Hornet shock with a 1000 lbs spring. AKA the TRC One shock. Went with that, so see if I can take a little more slack out of the fork. That'll allow faster turn in, but will make the bike a bit more twitchy in exchange. The spring will be helpful, as in full gear, I'm about 280 lbs. Now, to figure out the handlebar mounts, and She'll be ready to go. I'll probably pull out one of the other handlebars I took off another mini, just so I can start trying to get a run and tune going.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts