PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Ok, i am currently in the process of building a chinese motard (link below)

Minifighter Motard Build - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

and im almost up to deciding on a new engine. Now the majority of people are saying to get a Z160HO which i think are a great motor...BUT, i am trying my hardest not to follow trends and be a little different to the crowd.

ive decided on a Zongshen 140 (currently a Lifan 125)

ive also thought about the following further mods

160BBK, ORK, OKO26mm, Daytona HD clutch (or similar) V2 (if it fits) or V2 spec'd head maybe from Akkunar

any thoughts, suggestions or ideas guys?

Thanks,

Wayne (MiniFighter)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just about anything from Terry at FirePowerMinis. He isnt interested in selling hype, just what works good.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
+1 on that

by the way...this bump was a non-solicited nor paid advertisement for FPM...I am just a satisfied customer that likes to see other peeps get good deals and quality service;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrench said:
Just about anything from Terry at FirePowerMinis. He isnt interested in selling hype, just what works good.

doopsx3 said:
+1 on that

by the way...this bump was a non-solicited nor paid advertisement for FPM...I am just a satisfied customer that likes to see other peeps get good deals and quality service;)

Thanks guys, sounds like FPM know there stuff...what are the chances though me being in Aus to get him to build me one?

Anyone else have any ideas and/or thoughts on my first idea about the Zonger 140?

·
Banned
1 Posts
Wayne,

Any idea on an engine budget? Displacement limits in the class? What will you be up against? You wouldn't be the 1st bloke is AU on an FPM mill:D

The Zonger 140 is a solid platform. The 150cc YX, Daytona type is a little better in several aspects, though. The extra 3mm stroke (60 total) adds some grunt, and the trick clutch cover is a big plus for service, engine life, narrowness, and cool factor. lol. The latest 140/150 YX-Piranha engines come with the light ORK, too.

The 160cc S-cut kit, from TB at least, is discontinued, for lack of service life. I'd shy away from any S-cut kit, and stick with a steel-sleeved jug and skirted slug. Same as I've always suggested;)

Adding stroke is the easiest way to gain big displacement on the mid-block motors while keeping head gaskets intact, IMSLTHO.

A Daytona 62.7mm crank is a sweet revvy upgrade, and lands at 160cc with the TB 57mm jug & slug. Offset pins for the stock 57mm cranks can net you up to 67mm stroke but require case trimming inside once over 62 or so. I do a 66mm version of the DTE150 YX crank with a longer rod and spacer plate. Makes them all take a second look at that billet 6mm base booster;) 168cc with the 57 J&S.

There is a bolt-on Tak +R head in your stud pattern. That's the best thing going, right now, and will give you the power of the KLX-head V2 GLEE's without the sheep-ism. Little pricey, but what ain't? Adding a mm or two to the intake valve size of the stock head, and a stout cam will yield great results, if the budget won't allow a Tak.

Again, based on budget and power needs, a "real" Mikuni VM26 or Keihin PE28 would be my favorite choices. Pretty much the only carbys I run.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers!

Terry/FP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
firepower354 said:
Wayne,

Any idea on an engine budget? Displacement limits in the class? What will you be up against? You wouldn't be the 1st bloke is AU on an FPM mill:D

The Zonger 140 is a solid platform. The 150cc YX, Daytona type is a little better in several aspects, though. The extra 3mm stroke (60 total) adds some grunt, and the trick clutch cover is a big plus for service, engine life, narrowness, and cool factor. lol. The latest 140/150 YX-Piranha engines come with the light ORK, too.

The 160cc S-cut kit, from TB at least, is discontinued, for lack of service life. I'd shy away from any S-cut kit, and stick with a steel-sleeved jug and skirted slug. Same as I've always suggested;)

Adding stroke is the easiest way to gain big displacement on the mid-block motors while keeping head gaskets intact, IMSLTHO.

A Daytona 62.7mm crank is a sweet revvy upgrade, and lands at 160cc with the TB 57mm jug & slug. Offset pins for the stock 57mm cranks can net you up to 67mm stroke but require case trimming inside once over 62 or so. I do a 66mm version of the DTE150 YX crank with a longer rod and spacer plate. Makes them all take a second look at that billet 6mm base booster;) 168cc with the 57 J&S.

There is a bolt-on Tak +R head in your stud pattern. That's the best thing going, right now, and will give you the power of the KLX-head V2 GLEE's without the sheep-ism. Little pricey, but what ain't? Adding a mm or two to the intake valve size of the stock head, and a stout cam will yield great results, if the budget won't allow a Tak.

Again, based on budget and power needs, a "real" Mikuni VM26 or Keihin PE28 would be my favorite choices. Pretty much the only carbys I run.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers!

Terry/FP

Hi Terry,

Thanks very much for your reply, i read it very carefully.

hmmm budget, thats always a tough one to answer my initial outlay was budgeted/planned at $1000 for the base engine, then spend as required to build up with a total estimated (but not limited to) at $2K - $2.5K

Not knowing a great deal about these engines i guess i would have to know what my options are vs price range and decide from there.

i would be more than happy to discuss this with you further if you could please PM me.

Wayne

·
Banned
1 Posts
MiniFighter said:
Hi Terry,

Thanks very much for your reply, i read it very carefully.

hmmm budget, thats always a tough one to answer my initial outlay was budgeted/planned at $1000 for the base engine, then spend as required to build up with a total estimated (but not limited to) at $2K - $2.5K

Not knowing a great deal about these engines i guess i would have to know what my options are vs price range and decide from there.

i would be more than happy to discuss this with you further if you could please PM me.

Wayne

Will-do, and sorry about the whoopin' Rach put on you. Even without lifting the jersey;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts