Gary This sounds Like an awesome idea. My only concerns would be the people breaking down and or getting hurt way out in the boons. If your talking a 100 mile loop in the middle of no where I can see a bunch of big problems going down. Starting with big bucks for GPS, people getting lost, bikes breaking, injuries there is a lot to think about. Dakar is absolutely nuts stuff, One mistake and you turn into poo poo.
Just throwing it out there as an Idea but what if a local track ran like a 24 hours of le mans "mini" race, or make it even more interesting a 36 or 48 hours. That way its in an certain area so no one gets lost and injuries can be attended to quickly. This way you wont loose anyone out in the woods. Plus pitting and camping out would be a blast and fun pit party if a large amount of people turn up.
Heres what I came up with for Standard rules that should be followed:
1. Bike entered in the race is the only bike you can race with "AKA no back up bikes" Or if you do use a back up bike loose 5 points or somthing deducted etc, Vin numbers will be taking upon sign up to insure this.
2. You can ride with a partner, or several parters and switch off every so many laps or hours, just dont forget to hand off the transponder. If your a crazy dude You may run the entire race Solo and run in the group of called "Iron Man" cash prize should be awarded for this one.
3. No drugs/alcohol if you are racing. Spectators as long as it is legal and done responsible you get the O.k.
4. Signed Waiver to understand the risks involved from racing.
5. Must be 16 or older. I think this would be a good age to start it at. No affence to the little guys but a 24 hour race having youngersters cruising around a quarter of the speed as the bigger guys I feel would be a health Hazard to both the younger guys and older guys.
6. If your female and race you get 10 dollars off of what ever the race fee ends up being. Females can get additional dollars off for every other Female they bring to race. Sorry guys you can obviously bring your ladies of choice but no savings for you haha.
I am sure I will think of more rules but this is just a quick mock up thought of this idea.
As for Race Classes heres what I came up with:
Class 1, Grass roots, "88cc Class on 10 inch frame, No xr70s with 10 inch wheels. 12 inch front aloud. Basically follow the lines of a Mod 50 just with a 52mm bore "88" motor.
Class 2, Stock 110, everything stock except usual stuff like air filter, bars, shocks, port work, high comp piston, and any other secret that you feel will help you win and last the race. Remember pick two out of the three, Fast, Reliable, Cheap.
Class 3, 10 inch Open, Everything goes as long as you have a 10 inch rear wheel. You can have a 110 with 10 inch rear weel or xr70 with 10 inch rear wheels, no wheel base limitation like vegas. As for Motor the sky's the limit, You want a 200 plus cc motor spinning a 10 inch wheel and think it will last 24 hours of race abuse go for it!
Class 4. 12 Inch open basic same rules as above, You just have to have a 12 inch rear wheel and any motor mods go.
Class 5. I am debating about if this class will work. Follows the same problems about having youngersters out on the track. Stock 50s and vintage bikes do go good but not super good on a big track, "lots of rolling jumps. My thought is For some reason I feel somone at some point on a stocker would end up getting landed on lol. If this class does get added it would be A Vintage and or stock 50 class. MUST Be StOcK! 8inch or 10inch tires, No cranks, no cheater 85 kit, 72 kit 106, 108 etc. Anything goes as long as its 50cc's, so head work, high comp pistons, special fuel etc.. If you are at the track and are already more than two laps ahead after the first 3 laps at the end of your race your motor will be torn down, or you give 40 dollars to cover your cheaterness lol. Being this far ahead after only a few laps could only mean two things, "cheater motor" or you weigh 40lbs lol. Anyway Be prepared at the end of the race to tear it down to prove that it is not a cheater motor. If it is a cheater motor number 1 you loose, and number 2 people get to make fun of you LOL.
As for keeping track of the riders on the track, Back when we ran an indoor race at Foxburo MASS at a indoor go kart track for a fund raiser they ran transponders. This race was one of the sweetest races I have ever gone to. Every race you did you got a print out of your lap times position and speed. Anyway this reminded me of a good idea on how to get accurate readings of people completing laps instead of having somone there with a pen and paper, which would get super over whelming. My suggestion would be to Get a hold of some transponders, or have some loan them to who ever puts on the race. It would kinda work like GNCC except no bar code scanning.
Anyway this is just my O2, but I feel if this was set up correctly and done right it could turn into a yearly thing like vegas and food vendors, shops etc could all jump on the band wagon and promote their product and make money all at the same time.
My friend and I were just talking about a 24 hour race at his house since his Mini track has telephone poles with lights on them it would be perfect but the track isnt big enough.