PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been brought up anytime in the past, but damn, anyone got any way to make changing the tires on a 110 easier? Especially the rear one. I know taking it to a shop is easy, but it costs money and sometimes they even have issues with flats like an hour after you start riding.

So does anyone out there got some tricks or ways to make this easy? I'm at the point where I would rather run a bald tire than have to change it out.

Right now, I'm just going at it with two big tire levers, elbow grease and lots of cursin'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Over here in the uk if we lucky and have a hot day you leave the rim with the tire on outside for about 30 mins to get it hot then when you are putting it on use some soapy water and for me im 14 and i done it with one tire lever last week was so easy to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
speed_raca7 said:
would it be bad if i use wd40? cuz ive been using that for some time now and no problems but the bikes we have dont have enough power to need rim locks anyway..

wd has an oil lubricant which will not evaporate once the tire is on and cause it to slip very easy, even with a rim lock....use windex or soap on a warm tire. practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Make sure and push the opposite side of the tire as far into the rim as possible, way past the tire bead. That gives you the most room possible in the area where you are working. I always use a Bead Buddy by Motion Pro, it helps a lot and is a very inexpensive tool. Ditto on the WD40, don't use it. It will stay on the bead and cause your tire to spin on the rim which will rip your valve stem. Use soapy water. Ditto on the tire in the sun idea as well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
in the winter here I put my tire in the over quick to soften it up about the wd40 the chemical will break down a tire as well no Im sure you will never notice it but just another reason why not to use it

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
ive only popped one tube in my life. i put the tube in the tire and put the nut half way on. and the put it on normal. its pretty much something you have to do and find a way you like

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
speed_raca7 said:
would it be bad if i use wd40? cuz ive been using that for some time now and no problems but the bikes we have dont have enough power to need rim locks anyway..

its not about power for the rim locks. When you lock up your brakes going 40 mph its the same force as if you were doing it on a big bike and that is what spins the tire. So if you want to run normal air pressure you should use a rim lock. If i don't use a rim lock i run like 30 pounds of pressure just so i don't spin the tube. I hate changing the tires as much as everyone else so to do it becuase i spun the tube sucks even more.

And the more you do the easier they get eventually. But it is never easy, just easier as you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I popped like 20 tubes from the tire spinning on the rim before I got a rim lock. I usually like to cover the tube with baby powder before I put it in the tire so the tire irons wont pinch it. Then I spray wd40 all around the tire bead. Havent popped one since

·
Registered
201 Posts
Some of your guys are crazy, you make tires seem impossible!!! The biggest problem people have is trying to take a tire off with 2 tire irons and taking huge bites. That means you have to much space between the 2 tire irons. Just do like 2 or 3 inches, or get like 3 or 4 tire irons. For lube, just use some soapy water. Take one side of the tire off, then pull the tube out, then flip the tire off and take over the other side of the tire, then the rim will be in the middle of the tire, push it to one side, and pull the rim out from the center.

When you put it on, if its a new tire, put some wood in it like a 2X4 and leave it in the sun for a bit, but you really dont have to do that for a 110 tire, just big bike tires mostly. Then lube it up, and you can almost put the whole tire on one side by just pushing on it, and then usually just need one tire iron to pop that last piece of it on. Now you can put the tube in, and make sure you get it around the rim so you dont pinch it. Then you can start putting on the other side of the tire. Then put like 60 pounds of air in it and then let it out to about 20 or whatever you run.

This seems complicated, i should try and get some pictures, haha!!

But remember, dont use anything else but soap and water, simple green, or actual tire grease. Dont ever use screw drivers as a tire iron, and the more tire irons you have the easier it is, and remember to only take little bites. With big bores, its a great idea to get a rim lock because it helps from ripping stems out. Also when you put the bolt on the valve stem, dont tighten it, keep it loose so you can tell if your stem is turning or not, if it does turn let the air out of your tire, break the bead, and spin the tire to get it straight again.

And one last thing, if you have a rim lock, start away from the rim lock when you put the tire on, and start at it when you take it off.

Ky *100*

Oh yea and use a barrel, or bucket, or make one, anything is better than sitting on the ground.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.