PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Went to have the keeper reset today and turns out the valve is bent! Hooray! TBParts was out of their rebuilt kit but Tbolt came through as always. So, hopefully early next week I can get the valves swaped, seated, and get it back together.

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
219 Posts
Sorry about your rotten luck friend. Glad you’re sticking in there even if you’re ready to give up on these bikes all together.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Update - Went to pull the valve out to reset the keeper about two weeks ago.

Valve was bent.

Went to remove the valve...valve guide is really fubared

Luckily, if you email TBParts, they will sell you some.

So now I'm waiting for the valve guides to get replaced, everything reassembled, and hopefully I'll have a working 70?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back in business.

Shout out to the man, the myth, the legend himself @storminnorman07 for a BRAND NEW Ver 1 head. The one with the bent valve is now a paperweight!

Everything is back together, fired the bike up and I felt like I was working on the C170 again. These knock off carbs are just atrocious. I messed with it for a day or two, swapped out jets, I just couldn't get it feel right. Found someone selling a NIB PE20 for $75 and immediately scooped it up. Added a Takegawa intake boot and tossed on a TB Parts pancake filter I had laying around that fit perfect and we're in business.... kinda. My throttle cable is about 1/4 short, so it's WOT. I was looking to buy a slightly longer cable (still kind interested in that) and someone suggest tossing on a head-to-intake spacer. Gotta see if I have the right size one that might just give me the extra slack I need, hopefully I don't have clearance issues with the tank/frame.

Just want to note, authentic KEIHIN and MIKUNI carb quality is amazing.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Life is busy. Some of you know that I also picked up a ZB50, so that jumped into the priority slot for working on things.

That said, I got the bike buttoned up and took it on it's first slow scoot around the neighborhood to gently break in the top end. I'm still having some issues with the idle, it's a BRAND NEW carb so I can't imagine it's dirty/clogged but I can't figure out the issue. The idle will hang high and if you don't touch the throttle it'll drop down until it dies. Also had some shifting issues and remembered I never adjusted the clutch after that ordeal, so I think I got that straightened out now.

I'll get some photos up soon bike looks pretty rad for an old 70.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The idle is still wicked weird on this thing. It idles super high and then will just drop off and die. I'm really not sure what the deal is, checked for leaks by spraying carb cleaner and I get no reaction. It's probably something stupid. It looks cool tho!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
219 Posts
Don’t gotta tell you. I know I don’t gotta tell you. But even so, do you have the right amount of throttle cable/is the cable not roached? Again trouble shooting experience lol.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I do, bought a longer one since the OEM was causing it hang up. I've popped the filter off and watched to see whats going on with the slide but nothing unusual.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts