PlanetMinis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh man, going back to work full time is killing my productivity. I have been working on the bike but like an hour a day, if I'm lucky.

The entire case was nasty, so I wire wheeled it. A combo of oil/red clay caked almost everything.

Motor is in, tossed on some rad footpegs I had laying around.

Got my throttle cable, had to modify it to work, and that's where I'm sitting at. I'm about an hour or two worth of work until I'm done but finding that time lately is rough.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update -

I messed up something. I put it all back together, went to kick it and it wouldn't start. Hit the shifter and it was stuck solid. So I laid it down and pulled off the clutch side cover and for about 3 days tried to figure out where the issue is. I worked with @dirtbkr188 and identified that something wasn't put back together right. Unfortunately, for the last month I've been working on a customer's 50 from the local race bike shop, since they don't do small bikes and that has prevented me from any progress.

I'm going to pull the engine out, pull the clutch pack out and redo everything again. I struggled way more than I should have getting that clutch plate c-clip in, makes me think that I didn't put the plates in right or something. I'm not sure, this is my first time taking apart a clutch after all these years.

Anyways, more to follow hopefully soon (also working on the C170 at the same time).

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
218 Posts
So what I’m hearing is... manual clutch upgrade time? Also for the welds, look into getting a flap disk. Change. Your. Life. I thought they were snake oil until I got one. I keep hoping to stumble on a clapped out 50 or 70 to go crazy with lol. Can’t wait to see the finished product! Keep up the awesome work!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was trying to keep it semi so my wife can hop between her stock 70 and mine but if I have to go manual, that just means it is time for her to learn.

I picked up some flap disks AFTER i went through stripping that frame, someone made the exact same suggestion after they saw what I was up to.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Circling back to my clutch issue and taking a break from the C170...

It seems that my clutch is failing the bench test (https://youtu.be/CpjrT3d95wA?t=276) . It's completely bound up and wont rotate at all, I'm attributing this to the difficulty I'm facing when putting the snap ring back on. I'm using a 800lb clamp and a small socket to compress the pack enough to get the snap ring in. Watching Josh's video, he's able to get his ring in with his bare hands.

I've watched his assembly video multiple times and I'm not sure where in my clutch pack I'm running into an issue. I'm following everything he shows to the letter. Should I pull the HD springs out and put the stock ones back in and just see how it handles the 88cc motor? That's the only variable I've changed here.

I was thinking about just grabbing the TB parts HD clutch kit basket but everywhere is sold out :(

·
Administrator
10,501 Posts
Which HD springs are you working with, Shane? FWIW, I'd put the stock ones back in and run it, just be sure to adjust it after you've test ridden it with the old springs.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Which HD springs are you working with, Shane? FWIW, I'd put the stock ones back in and run it, just be sure to adjust it after you've test ridden it with the old springs.
EBC. Should I just mix and match or go straight stock.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
stock plates or new ones? Sometimes the plates have clutch material on both sides when they should only have it on one for specific bikes. I’ve cut the material off some clutch plates a time or two lol.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The bike shifts through gears on the bench so it's all back together. Put in the Pro-Wheel HD shock spring while I was at it. There is no markings on the standard spring or HD spring. The only way to tell is to measure the coil thickness.

That said all said, it wont start. Got spark, carb has fuel in it. I think it's low compression. I put my finger over the spark plug hole and kicked it and I'm not getting any sucking force against my finger. The kicker also falls a lot easier than my 50 with an 88. I think I need to take a break from bikes for a while, between this and the C170, it's been one thing after another.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
You can’t keep doing this to me TT. I’m broke and have enough bikes! Heavier duty spring= wheelie time right?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
That's correct.
This is one of the maintenance jobs that folks are often afraid of...or just don't know how to do, and it never gets done. The gaps get smaller as things wear, until there is NO gap at all. Then the rocker holds the valve(s) open...0 compression.
A good sign is a blackened intake port in the head...since the intake valves typically wear out first...exhaust gasses start getting pushed into the intake...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's something I don't typically overlook and frankly, I was certain I did it while it was on the bench but this build has had long gaps of time between it..so who knows. Only takes a few minutes to do it, so I'm gonna go out and try to knock it out today.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Top gapped out fine, went to go to the bottom and noticed something didn't look right. I'm guessing this could be my problem. I'll get to it this week :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Squirrelly little cotter is tryin to pop right outta there. Good eye. That adjuster screw is sticking waay up too.

Hopefully you can get the cotters back in without pulling the head...might be tricky...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm gonna pull the head, I don't have a valve compressor but I'll take it to the moto shop down the road. He lapped the valves on the RH for the 108 that is in the Baja, so I know he can just pull this apart quick and toss it back together.

The adjuster is backed out because I was trying to figure out what was going on and it wasn't until I put a flashlight on it I noticed the keeper creepin'.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts