PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K3 has no exhaust stinger and I could not find one for sale. Seems the 68-71s have an aftermarket option but not the K3-78, that I could find. so I decided to make my own but beef up the pipe size a bit, stock one looks so small to me.

first I used about 3in of 15/16“ OD .120 wall DOM tube to go into the muffler. I then used a 3/4in section of 1-1/8“ OD .065 wall DOM tube to act as a spacer and stop. To that I welded the 6in section of 1-1/4 OD pipe that makes up the actual exhaust pipe. I then tapped a 5mm hole to use the stock mounting process. Here is a picture uninstalled and then installed. i made to sections for the end. One was straight and the one I decided to go with was the turn down slash cut. Adds a little something different to the look of the exhaust. I will be painting it black with high temp paint to match the muffler when I repaint that.

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Really nice!
On my 84, when it was my dirt beater, I removed the stinger hoping for a bit more performance over my friends. I made an extension out of copper piping that worked a treat...but no where near as well crafted as yours. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! hopefully I can fire up the bike tomorrow and hear how it sounds. Cooper, I’m not sure how much if any performance it will add. I have never seen a stock pipe so I am not sure how the gasses make it into the pipe. This should flow easier though.

it was a fun project, I picked up welding a few years ago so i am always looking for an excuse to break out the welder.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Who knows but I was young and looking for any advantage I could get as we thrashed around several backyard track.

The stock stinger is pretty intrusive BUT it may not have hindered performance much.

I bought a cheapie aftermarket 125cc “monkey” style exhaust for my then 88cc motor and I did the same...but it was welded in place. When I finally got it out, I realized that it was. I thing compared to the stock type. I’m sure someone on here knows more about it but if you can get a bit more flow...why not right? Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Still can’t hear it because I am having trouble getting the bike to fire. Post up results after I fix that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have been able to ride it around some as I work on tuning the carb. I am very happy with how it sounds. I have never heard a stock Z50 but I like the tone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts