PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says...

I'm looking for a disk brake setup for the front for an 8 inch wheel...

See lots for 10 inch and some for 8 inch rear but I can't find anything for the front that will accept an 8 inch wheel.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
How much are you looking to invest in this. Money no limit, I can’t point you in a few directions. On a limited budget (likely items available from China) things get limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm thinking about trying to make this work for my Baja. I'll just pull the legs out.

Like Coop said, there are a few options depending on budget.. Like this $1,000 Takegawa set up.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
or g-craft or shiftup.
Trying to remember if daytona does their dampened inner legs in a disk brake version.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to do it on the cheap...

I have this fork set up

As you can see I haven't centered the wheel but believe I should be able to...

But now leaning towards a disk setup.

I'm starting to think the disc size is going to be related to the mounting point on the forks... As you can see the forks I have should be able to accommodate a caliper on one side and drum on the other.

Looking at the caliper mount I think it's for a 190mm rotor so I might be sol...

But I do have 2 more bikes to build up and really don't want to go with 10 inch wheels.

Thanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
With a china hydro setup the disk leg should at the left side, tire valve right side. Normally the china disks are 155mm.
With an 8" rim, take the caliper of the leg and loosen the three disk bolts so you can open the space between rim and disk. Slide the disk between the pads and the caliper will fit in the 8" rim. Slide the whole assembly beween the forks, axle through, tighten disk bolts, mount caliper.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Daytona does make a disc version of there inner fork. I have them...with the drum brackets.

For me, the Baja is just too cool to have the forks swapped out. You need to keep those sweet guard on the front AND it would be very clunky to have the 4 brackets needed to mount the headlight.

That first link could work with your for legs. If they do a +1 kit I’d go that route. Will give you a bit more room for the cooler as well. Might need to heighten the rear to match though

·
Registered
902 Posts
Daytona does make a disc version of there inner fork. I have them...with the drum brackets.

For me, the Baja is just too cool to have the forks swapped out. You need to keep those sweet guard on the front AND it would be very clunky to have the 4 brackets needed to mount the headlight.

That first link could work with your for legs. If they do a +1 kit I’d go that route. Will give you a bit more room for the cooler as well. Might need to heighten the rear to match though

Yeah I wont do a full swap, I'll just do the legs. It's weird I can do 25mm and 50mm shorter but I can't find +1 legs anywhere or even stock length inserts.

Here is Mini Motos' full setup options. ブレーキ : モンキー/ゴリラ/ダックス部品のオンラインショップ MINIMOTO

I might buy something just to have and try to make it work once I get back to the US.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Found the disc brake setup for 8 inch wheel on aliexpress 118 cad comple... Seller confirmed that it will fit my forks :)

Edit
It's going to cost 118cad more than the original set I bought. Looks like 350ish total with shipping

Screenshot_20200629-071002_AliExpress.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
#Aliexpress C$ 137.42 | Small motorcycle monkey Z50Q disc brake kit wheel front shock absorber trigeminal tree

The first set I bought was forks and triple with the folding handlebar mount for 220 cad. That set was 520mm total length. Came with the disk fork leg on one side and the finger for the drum on the other.

The second set I bought (link above) is for the same set but without the finger for the drum and a longer 560mm fork legs with the wheel, disk brake hub and complete brake system.

I tried to confirm that the disc brake hub will fit the oem wheels but communication was difficult... Atleast it comes with a wheel...

Looking at the way the hub and disk fit in the picture I think I have sourced the correct hub if I wanted. Looks like there are two different versions of the disc hub... One with a flat disc and another with a disk that has the mounting flange recessed.

I'll know more when I get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mmmm... Think I may have made a mistake ordering this...

Looking at the picture I don't see any hub bolts... I can't see it being a one piece hub and wheel... But there aren't any bolts!

Dam...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw that...

Well at least it will match the 8 hole wheels I already have...

We'll see when it comes.

In the meantime I'm trying to source the correct hub just to prepare...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of front disc hubs available from China just not much information on specks...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks like the rotors have the same bolt pattern as the sprocket...edit: nope there different

Two different types that I've been able to find... One with the rotor flange recessed and one not

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The recess is for centering the rims on the hub.

edit: but the recess should be at the other side of that flange. The rims do not fit/pass over the disc mount.

edit2: The upper pic looks more billet, the bottom one is cast.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I might pull the trigger on the set I posted, pulling the legs and swapping them into mine. I really want disc, bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts