PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
mo.jpg It's my understanding that on some other unnamed websites ( motoped facebook ) if you post anything negative about their product you will not only have you're comment deleted but you will also be blocked from making any further comments and that doesn't sound right to me so i've decided to start a thread here on the subject. Please post any probmles with the basic design you've had here

After about two years and around 12,000 miles of use (various engines during that time) The following are areas in which I feel motoped could stand for a little improvement.

#1 Coming up with a solution to rear tire wear (possibly a wider rim?) But i will leave this subject alone since there is already a thread on the subject.

#2 Jackshaft chain slack, one should not be forced to use a half link if they are going to be using any size countershaft sprocket 12T or a 17T, a better design to get around this issue would be nice.

#3 Motoped should offer either a clamp on or a bolt on kickstand as an option so that those of us that want one (myself included) aren't forced to make one ourselves

#4 Jackshaft to rear wheel sprockets, turning my rear wheel one half turn will result in my chain slack needing to be adjusted slightly, turning my rear wheel another half turn will result in chain slack being perfect. For the price we buy these things for one would think the sprockets that come with them would be concentric.

#5 Disc brake pads wear quickly, I don't think anything can be done to remedy this since the calipers were designed for a bicycle but my solution has been to purchase a high strength epoxy and make my own from similar material on automotive brake pads. ( the cheapest, softest ones that wear quickly on a car ) These work great on my motoped, last longer than the originals and do not harm the rotors (after lots of use and measuring rotor thickness with a micrometer) as far as i can tell

Thats all the gripes i have at this time

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far 56 views of my thread and no replies yet...................This is a good thing and it says something about the engineering that went into the Motoped design

·
Registered
615 Posts
I dont really have any issues with mine considering what it is, an outsourced to China product that was made as cheap as possible. But a kickstand would be nice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know mine shipped from Taiwan, were all the components made there or could some have been farmed out...good question? As far as improvements & problems go I’m pretty pleased with the fit and finish of my Motoped. The only problem I’ve experience so far was my chain roller (engine side) had an oversized diameter inner spacer that was also too short. When I tried to tighten up on it enough that it would stay in place, the bearings would bind up and stop it from rolling. Proper diameter and length of spacer fixed the problem. Also just like everyone else I wish it would have come with a kickstand. Not just any cheap’o stand though, it would need to be something fitting of a Motoped, something like this one that was offered for the Stealth Bikes. Quigley Motorsport Stealth Bomber kickstand Gen.2.Part No. QMS0012UNAVAILABLE - Quigley Motorsport

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is about the nicest kick stand i've seen on any motorcycle, bicycle or anything else ever.
Dam, the $495.00 just blows me away though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may not fall under the category of "design", more material quality. The jackshaft bearings are cheap Chinese junk. I strongly recommend that everyone replace with the SKF equivalent. Nothing like locking up the jackshaft while doing 60

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I hear that, just replaced mine and when i did i found that two of them had been spinning on the shaft itself and actually ate away a considerable amount of of metal from the circumference of the shaft itself. Had a new shaft made from some hard ass stainless and replaced the bearings with the SKF
The reason i took the thing apart in the first place was that the swing arm started to get play, you could wiggle it a little from side to side

BTW the back tire would not try to lock up unless one of the outermost bearings on the shaft ( one on each side) froze up the rest will just keep spinning on the shaft and eat away at like mine started doing......
I seriously doubt if it would freeze up if all the bearings froze up solid anyway as I'm sure the torque from the motor would just explode the bearings and or just grind all the little bearings themselves out of the things so as to force them to keep spinning...But that's just my opinion

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going on 6 years and approx 22,000 to 28,000 miles and I'm getting some play in the rear again, it's either going to be a trashed bearing or the bearing race spinning on the jackshaft eating it away. Then again it might just be the bearings in the hub but I'll tear it apart tomorrow and see what the story is but I tell you what if it's those jackshaft bearings I'm going to make some changes back there and switch over to tapered roller bearings (if possible)
this time around

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes well where I'm living now (Atascadero ca) there is nothing but rolling hills in every direction as far as the eye can see but every pair of hills will have a valley which some are pretty darn steep. The nearest store to my house is 7 miles away (the 99 cent store) Bought 60 acres and moved up here from down south about 4 years ago but lately every day has been a war, got 35 acres of hemp growing and the gophers want to eat my roots, the deer they want all the leaves they can get and the wild pigs (boars) They don't give a dam they are fricking pigs and want to eat everything. Nonetheless, yes i beat the thing to death like 3 days a week, for the last year and a half I have been purposely trying kill the Tbolt 141 in the thing but it just refuses to die.....Left em a great review last week stating as much

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the update mike.
i built mine into the 143 with out the head, had to replace the muffler, it had cracked on the inlet side.
used the tbolt recommendation muffler, cut the inlet off the stock and turned it down.. to use as a bushing.
just need to find a rear brake that will last with the foot peg kit, i keep breaking avid bb7 calipers

the lifan kit with the 143 kit is really great, pulls well, lugs when needed
makes the motoped a fun machine

·
Registered
30 Posts
breaking bb7 calipers in half, where they bolt together
would like to find a hydraulic rear foot brake, that doesn’t look like a hack job
Cam made a mount to use the Hayes front brake on the rear,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts